For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic For Al:) Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2013.01.04 12:51
Al, you made me really smile, thinking about your giant great dane hogging the bed! We, too, have a great dane and he is one of the most special pets we have ever had, and that is saying a lot....our yard has so many trees planted in honor of beloved pets we have lost that we are running out of room!

But our dane, oh my, he has such an almost spiritual way about him. Looks right into your soul, and so emotionally connected with "his people" (aka our family). He gets so upset if he is outside and we are in that he will actually lick the glass of the windows and doors with his massive tongue, he neeeeeeeds to be with us! Is your Tess like that as well?

Also, how do you handle the leaning? Our dane is a real leaner, and I worry that he may knock my husband over, this almost happened to a visitor once, so it's a concern. My husband does not use a cane or walker, and even though our dane is lighter than most (130 pounds), he is much taller (48"!) We call him the lazy man's dog because you dont' have to even bend over to pet him, he's right there by your hand all the time!

I'm so glad you have a dane for your service dog! They are so comforting and attentive to their people. I hope you have many wonderful years together :)

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.04 15:37
Thanks Lurking! Yes Tess is like that needing to be with me, however in Her view I think it's a I need Her with me kind of thing and if I don't have Her right by me ...boy...will She give me the cold shoulder! She'll wait till I come in the room then get up turn around and lay down with her back toward me until She figures I've learned my lesson! Yes Danes do lean a lot. Tess really doesn't lean into me unless I'm sitting or standing by a counter or wall or something that can steady me. I suspect Your Dane senses the same thing with Your Husband. As You've said you worry about it but it hasn't happened yet but almost did with a visitor? Seems like Your Dane already realizes this. If it does happen it probably will only happen once and your Dane will feel pretty guilty, realizing what happened (as you know they are not the type of dog to say that was fun lets do it again! They are attentive and very caring of their Family). I'm glad You've got a Dane Too! They are a special breed of dog! If we have to be owned by a dog a Dane isn't a bad way to go! Again thanks for the kind words! Take care, best of luck and hang in there

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you