For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic back pain that shoots down his leg Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By GladIhavehorses On 2013.01.15 23:30
Myy hubby has been experienceing bad back pain on the right side of his body (the same side his PD affects) and it shoots down his leg and makes it twitch. It drives him nuts. He has had xrays show nothing, therapy, no help. Odly he can bend over touch his toes, bend side ways no problem. Usually start in the evening and into the night. Keeps him up. Doctor gave him Tylonol 3 to take which land up upsetting his stomach which he lands up taking Tums, gavaston, malox and others. Then it results in him being constipated which leads to any kind of laxitive. It all becomes a vicious circle with no end. The question is, is this Parkinsons and what can be done about it, the Back pain?

By jcoff012 On 2013.01.15 23:40
Just a quick note...my husband was just dx with arthritis in his spine...perhaps that is a possibility? Good luck.

By mylove On 2013.01.16 09:05
Going out on a limb here, but as a fellow sufferer who has been through this recently, back pain that shoots down the leg sounds a lot like sciatica. Shakydog had it too. He did physical therapy and that helped, but in reality, what he got from physical therapy could be done just as easily at home. I used what he'd learned from the PT and was able to get through my bout.

If it's pain originating around the lower back/hip and running/shooting down the leg you're in the ballpark. It's caused by the muscles in the back/rear contracting around the small opening where a spinal nerve that serves the leg exits. It's as if the muscles "grab" the nerve and won't let it move freely. The goal is to get the muscles to release. I know you probably aren't in to adding muscle relaxers to the list of meds he's on, but those can help the process as well.

The thing that made the biggest difference for him was lifting his leg (like you were doing the "Captain Morgan pose") and leaning into it so that the muscle stretches out. He also had a ball about the size of a tennis ball that he laid on the floor and rolled around on, placed so that it gave pressure to that area. For me, massage gave the best relief. Both of us got benefit from heat.

I believe people with PD are more prone to those functional type of problems. We seem to have a 'traveling pain' sort of issue; in a year we may see sciatica, tennis elbow, neck pain, etc. Never at the same time... it's as if the pain just takes it's turn on different parts of the body. He's learning to cope with it and roll with the punches.

By GladIhavehorses On 2013.01.17 00:46
What did they do to determine it was arthrietis in your husband back. and if it was a sciatica woundn't he be unable to bend over and sideways?He says it will bother him for sometimes hours then instantly stop for no reason.

By mylove On 2013.01.17 09:15
Meh. Both my hubby and I were ambulatory and able to get around with a fair degree of flexibility; everyone's different. It's just one more thing to think about/rule out. From what I understand, it's also something you can't see on x rays, etc unless the disc in the lower back is herniated or damaged, so it's more a diagnosis of symptoms.

I know mine was better while I was up moving around, but bad while standing still, and worst while sitting.

By jcoff012 On 2013.01.17 09:27
Glad, they found it accidentally...he went in for blood tests, xrays, and a checkup...he told them of his constant pain in his lower back. The doctor checked, and said he has arthritis in his spine, along with the pain in his shoulder. Other than the pain, he gets around well. His mom had arthritis, so perhaps this lead to the dx...

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you