For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic How're you doing (fyi) Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.18 19:14
In response to some asking me to share how I'm doing? Well I was just coasting along, living life best as I can, doing everything I can and then I joined 23andme. As most of you know I live with my service dog (balance or walker dog). some may know or have gathered I have help (an aide) come in for a few hours five days a week. Other than that it's Tessa (my dog) and I here so I just do, I'm achy and stiff, wobbly every morning but have to get up and moving to take Tess out as nature calls. Winter limits our range as does how I'm moving but We get in about five walks at least a day, sometimes short others moderate (20 minutes worth) sometimes a bit longer (these mostly depending upon how many smells She HAS to sniff!) not necessarily longer in distance. She needs water and to be fed, as do I and we just go about doing these in our own time. My aide drives us to the store shopping you know daily tasks get done. As I said coasting along.

Joining 23andme me there are surveys to be filled out and the main one upon intake is data about Me as I filled it out I noticed an upsetting pattern developing (sometimes I think Dan Quail was right; "a mind is a terrible thing to have") the majority of my answers were falling into the moderate to severe category of the disease. Many being the autonomic nervous system being effected. Yikes what the heck? That can't be right? I reread the questions checked my answers yup. So I go to my Neurologist the next week for my regular 3 month exam and tell Him about it. Is He making notes? Turning on his mini recorder? Nope, just standing there listening to me looking at me nodding his head in affirmation. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but reality stings when it butts in. Or, He could have told Me if He was noticing these things going on. But then with the disease it's to be expected and experienced so no big deal right? Plus what am I going to do about it anyway? But to tell you the truth it threw me for a couple of weeks and my mind still drifts off to the data at times. That distant horizon creeps closer as it will.

So I coast along doing what and when I can, Tess and I nestled in a valley here in the Berkshire Mtns. In western Massachusetts. How am I doing? Guess I'm doing okay. Take care, best of luck and hang in there! We're all in this together.

Doc Holliday: What did you ever want?
Wyatt Earp: Just to live a normal life.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.

By GladIhavehorses On 2013.01.22 01:02
Lo, I wish I could make yours and everyone elses PD disappear. I think we all start out in life never thinking we would be the one that will be dx with something that will alter our plans for the future. You must think us care givers are a bunch of whinners and would trade places with us in a blink of an eye? Nice thing about pets? They don't care how sick or ugly or how much or how little money we have ect... And even if you just went into the bath broom , they act like you have been gone for a week.
Love my hubby and love my pets.
Cease the day!

By jcoff012 On 2013.01.22 01:07
Just a quick note...Carl signed up for the 23andme PD trial, too...tonight! We should get the kit next week.

In filling out the initial forms, I did find out one interesting thing...he is an inch and a half shorter now than before dx...because he stoops over...ROTFLMAO...

I TOLD him he was stooping! We both laughed and laughed...at least when he lies down, he's taller...

Hugs, Jane

By Reflection On 2013.01.22 15:19
Dear Al - you are in inspiration to us all. I wish it were easier, I wish we could make PD go away. Until that happens, you guide us on how to deal with it as gracefully as possible. I'm glad you have Tess by your side.
It's winter. The Berkshires are lovely, but winter there is long, cold and dark. I hope you & Tess will be walking soon amongst the spring flowers, and it will be easier.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you