For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Tremor not so much about reduced dopamine... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2013.01.18 21:46
Here's the link, very informative:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3250076/

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.19 01:18
Lurking you are misunderstanding the article you posted. The study you posted is on the role of the locus coeruleus in Parkinson's resting tremor. Studying whether dopaminergic failure would involve complex noradrenergic adjustments leading to motor anomalies in the intact LC which might be only a nescessary state but not the direct cause of the resting tremor in PD.

They hypothesize that Parkinson tremor might represent the clinical sign of enhanced activity as possible compensatory process over dopanimergic loss

Or to put it in simpler terms they are studying to see if because of the dopamine loss the LC is overworking to compinsate for that loss and the resting tremor is a sign of this event in the LC. No where in the article does it state the tremor doesn't have anything to do with or little to do with loss of dopamine.

By tifenni On 2013.01.19 01:59
[deleted]

By lurkingforacure On 2013.01.19 07:31
I got that, Al, I guess my title wasn't very clear. My point is that for years, and to a large degree, still, the world believes PD is just about dopamine, dopamine, and dopamine...but it clearly is not. It seems so obvious that there is an almost magical balance in our brains, and that if one thing is off, it effects other things as well. But as I see it,science has pretty much ignored this and focused only on dopamine. One needs only to look at the clinical trials out there to see that the too many of them are "me-too" drugs, based on a dopamine-related platform or its side effects.

Clearly, there is a dopamine deficiency in PD...but that is not all that is going on, unfortunately.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.19 08:52
Lurking I agree completely that yes there is more out of balance than just dopamine levels. It is just common sense that if those levels are out of whack our brains over compensate by increasing other levels to make up for that lack. Then like a line of dominos other system try to counter the increase.

Yes your title threw me lol, BUT it did get me to read the link which is very interesting.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you