For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Power of Attorney Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By makrivah On 2013.01.19 21:55
We have the living will, wills, revokable trusts, etc all in place. even before the PD diagnosis. Not being aware of the possibility of cognitive decline, it never crossed my mind to have a power of attorney in place. He is in denial that he has cognitive issues and as I said in a previous post (my first one!), the neurologist simply says "You're doing great!" I know better. I don't need to go into details but messages for us are forgotten or garbled. He can't work the tv remote, home phone, cell phone, etc. I do pay the bills and handle the rest of the financial stuff. I just wonder if a power of attorney is needed now rather than later. Does anyone have advice on how to address this most difficult issue with my PWP?

By lurkingforacure On 2013.01.20 08:56
Rather than trying to make him see he needs it now (denial is mighty powerful), tell him that chance favors the prepared, and it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it but not have it. Boy Scouts words, not mine:)

By Lynnie2 On 2013.01.20 12:59
Tell him that everyone should have power of attorney for finances and health issues, for their own sake. It would make it easier for you to get it now rather than later. Even healthy people need to have this in place.
We had ours made up long ago because we didn't know what the future would bring. My spouse was diagnosed 5 years ago so I used it for him taxes so I can speak on behalf of him and am also thinking I should do it for other things too since I do most of the business.

You should also get a power of attorney for health and finances for yourself in case something happen to you. Your husband won't be able to do the business so maybe one of your children could act as power of attorney.
Hope this helps. You should be able to get extra copies when needed from your lawyer.

By dans316 On 2013.01.20 14:21
I just joined this forum and have been busy reading all the great info here.

I wanted to comment that in Pa, a Power of Attorney ceases on the death of the individual you have it for. I would presume it would be the same for other states.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you