For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Taking Care of Me So I Can Take Care of YOU Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2013.01.24 11:49
It affects all of us - the guilt of taking time for ourselves. However, it is a necessity! It is not selfish.

The more I demand my own time for myself (and I really don't have to do that much any more; I think my PWP really gets it now), the better person I can be and the more I will be mentally and physically able to take care of my PWP.

When I don't take time for myself, or get enough sleep, I am irritable, moody, depressed, and just an all around unpleasant person. I don't like me, so how could my PWP?

When I take time for sleep, exercise, and yes, even some fun, lighthearted times, I can be uplifting and pleasant and happy around my spouse.

Caregivers, please do not feel guilty for taking time out, for getting enough sleep, and for going to a movie, out with a friend, indulging in a pedi or mani, or simply going for a walk with that faithful dog by your side. Relish these times so you can go back and love on and appreciate your dear one.

I honestly feel, if I didn't allow myself these times, I would want to run away. But because I allow myself breaks, I will stay, I will love him to the end, and I will be a better caregiver for him.

By Knoosy On 2013.01.24 16:14
It seems to be a common fact that caregivers tend to put themselves last. Everything revolves around the person they care for and the disease. That's not good. It's self-denial. You have to love yourself and take care of your needs first or at least always consider your needs and never deny them. If there is something you have to do for your loved one first, it's ok to do that, but then find a way to reward yourself and do something that benefits and nurtures you! Never feel guilty. It is only a blessing that you are able to help someone else. That can't be taken for granted and everyone's vitality and energy reserve has its limits. If you fall ill because you deplete your reserves, who is going to take care of you? Always remain aware of your own emotional, physical, material and spiritual needs. Your soul always watches and if you don't love yourself, you will be reminded of it one way or another and that can happen through falling ill yourself. Take good care of yourself. Find help if you feel you need a break. It's out there. The universe supports you. Love & Light to you All.

By jcoff012 On 2013.01.24 17:55
I am upstairs right now...this hour or so is my time. We babysit our 3 year old grandson three days week, down from five...he is an active person and one who is constantly being pottytrained every half hour...so we both get tired by 1:30. But, from 1:30-2:00 until 4 or so, I come upstairs while both my PWP and grandson nap. I have learned that I need this time to myself. I usually read, listen to music, or come online...or all of those things and more.

I feel better with the break and I know I deserve and need this.

Don't get me wrong...My husband has his time, too...when the weather was less rainy and cold, he walked everyday. Now, he comes up here or goes to the store, or, he, too reads alone.

I fully agree. Take time for yourself..and remember: Laugh! Laugh out loud everyday!

Hugs, Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you