For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Curcumin for pain and inflammation Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dkleinert On 2013.01.30 00:39
Please go online and read about Curcumin. It is the active ingredient in the tumeric spice. There has been so much research on it lately, and how it greatly reduces pain and inflammation. I have had a lot of arthritis pain lately - almost not able to walk. My chiropractor gave up on me. Then I saw an edition of Life Extension Magazine and it highlighted recent research about the efficacy of curcumin used in high doses and its affect on inflamation and pain. So, I went straight to Whole Foods and bought some. The article said that 500mg, 3 times a day has an affect. I took double that amount, and it is AMAZING how it helps. I have found that I have to take it 3 times a day. I take it soon as I get up, during the day sometime, and then again at bedtime. It works!!! I take 2, 500mg capsules. Please try this - it cannot hurt anyone - there are no side effects. Be sure when you are buying it that you read the label and that there is at least 450mg of Curcumin/capsule. I have since read a lot more about it, and it is a miraculous healer of pain and inflammation. Try it for your husbands with so much pain.....it can't hurt at all. I hope this helps even just one of you.

By jcoff012 On 2013.01.30 11:42
Did a lot of searching, because pain is such a large part of my husband's life. The two things that need to be taken into account...check with your doctor, as curcumin can interact with some meds, especially on an empty stomach. Second, although there is considerable information, there is little research.

However, for many folks, it has helped, especially with arthritis in the knees. Whatever helps, right?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention...how about this...we are attending our local monthly PD meeting on Saturday and the speaker is a noted CA neurologist..I will bring it up with him...of course, he isn't the be all/end all, but like you said, won't hurt!

Again, thanks! Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.01.30 16:55
Jane yes please let us know what you find out. D thanks for the info, however just a quick look online and I find curcumin interacts with Blood thinning medication , Drugs that reduce stomach acid (acid reflux) and NSAIDS. So always check with your Doctor before incorporating herbal medicine and massive doses of vitamins into treatment of a disease like Parkinson's Disease.

I know some reading this will be saying or thinking here he goes again anything "new" or out of main stream medicine and Al's shooting it down. Well it might seem so to many but if you read back postings a new thing crops up a "I heard in such and such chatroom about" it's tried and all of a sudden the patient isn't doing so well what's happened? Just please run it by your Doctor before trying it is all I'm saying.We take different drugs here than most of these remedies are checked with if they are checked at all. I know I don't know everything I don't claim to. I know everyone progresses differently, I know each has different ways the disease presents itself. And I do know I'll soon be entering my 28th year of living with this disease. I'm not 5, 10 or 15 years into it and jumping to and fro because someone just diagnosed rides a bike or tries something and feels fine. I'm just saying (and hoping I'm not jinxing myself by doing so) I must be doing something right to get this far so please err on the side of caution. Take care, best of luck and hang in there, we're all in this together

By lurkingforacure On 2013.01.30 20:16
There has been a lot of interest in curcumin and pd....you can google for more ..I know one PWP in the UK who has had pd 22 years and still tends a half acre garden and attributes it to his taking curcumin for the past 14years. He has experimented with how much, ranging from 500mg/day to 3000mg/day and balanced out at 1000mg/day. It has many properties but from what I have read it is the anti inflammatory aspects that most believe are involved in helping with pd. it tended to upset my husband's stomach so he won't take it any more, which frustrates me as I feel he might be missing out on its benefits.

By dkleinert On 2013.01.30 22:01
lurkingforacure: Maybe have him take it with food - a full meal with fat, etc.. Because it is pretty potent - that may help. I take it with food, and sometimes alone, mostly with food. My PD husband has a sensitive stomach also, so with food is the best option. Thanks for the info about the farmer in the UK....I know it has been awesome for me how it has worked in such a short time when nothing else did. Yes, it is highly anti inflammatory.

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.02 19:36
Back from our local PDmeeting..and here is what the neuro said...he was young, but specializes in PD....these are from notes I took and rewrote here, within an hour of hearing his advice,...

"I know we all want to "jump" on a new idea or a new treatment; however, I HAVE to ask you to be very cautious of any idea or treatment that has not been thoroughly tested and approved by the FDA. You see, when dealing with a disease like PD, there is often a trial and error period until we hit on an optimum drug allocation. Introducing an unspecified amount of something new, including herbals, can upset the delicate balance between a carefully planned drug treatment and the addition of that new substance. I would discourage experimentation, many because with FDA regulated drugs, you KNOW exactly what you are getting...you know the exact dose and the exact ingredients in that dose. With other substances, we have no idea of, if nothing else, the strength of a specific amount to be ingested. One thing to consider...are you aware that certain plants are stronger if picked at specific times of the growing season? Has your "drug"/spice/ herb been harvested at its peak or at a time when it would be considered less effective? Because it is not monitored, you don't know. For that reason, and because PD meds MUST be closely monitored, I suggest relying on those that are regulated. That which works well for a 'normal person', that is, one who does not have PD, will not work the same for the PWP. My advice is to ALWAYS talk to your neuro. Personally, I treat my patients with proven drugs and therapies."

By trapper On 2013.02.02 20:13
dkleinert:

I tried Bell Shark Cartilage last year as it was guaranteed to fix my Osteoarthritis. Neighbor friend was on the Shark Cartilage and said he could play 9 holes of golf since he started on the stuff.
So, off I went to the Health Food Store and started taking Bells Shark Cartilage that had so many testimonials from so many Canadians.

The stuff is expensive but gave it a try. Long story short:
The last batch I bought, I sold to my neighbor friend as it didnt do a thing for me. He eventually gave up on the stuff too and had a knee replacement surgery recently. Right now he is down in Texas with his new knee so hope it works better than the shark cartilage.

By dkleinert On 2013.02.02 23:10
I by no means meant to prescribe something for anyone. I was excited about something that was and is still working a miracle for me. I have seen all the awful side effects the "tested" drugs have ravaged on my husband, and so something that is more natural that had been proven in several clinical studies I read about to not have any known side effects, was an exciting thing to me. I read a lot about it before I decided to try it.

Please forgive my enthusiasm. I was only wanting to let you know so in case it could help someone, then I had said it. I realize I should not have said anything because I am not a doctor. I will keep more to myself about those things. I don't know about shark cartledge. Thanks for posting everyone.

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.02 23:29
Sweet Donna, you weren't prescribing! lol I remember posting excitedly about BIG, only to find out it was not NEW...has been around for years...lol...to me, it was exciting and new!

I LIKE everyone's enthusiasm on here...everyone wants so desperately to cling to any hope that it NEVER hurts to post...please don't hold back!

Maybe this doctor came on stronger than expected, but he is a doctor who specializes in PD...

Hugs and love to you, Donna...post anything you want, anytime you want...we are all in this together...where'd I hear that? LOL Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.03 08:39
D, Please don't feel you have to keep more to yourself and not post new things you've heard. We're a family here, you know that. So when something new is posted We all want to make sure it's okay to try. We don't want anyone to have adverse reactions or suffer because they tried a new thing. Think of it as a looking out for our loved ones. Posting things like this thread give everyone a chance to weigh in and let others know what they might know about it. Like the shark capsules now when would that have come up if not for your post? Please keep up the good work and searching for help. Then we have to run it by our doctors. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.03 18:25
True enough, what everyone says..but you cannot deny that the pd rate in India, where they eat curry/curacumin at every meal, is one of the lowest, so I think there is something there for sure....the drug companies are no doubt trying to isolate the compound so they can standardize it (not a bad thing) and sell it.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.03 18:44
Perhaps, But I wonder what the Parkinson's rate is in India on the whole per-capita? Meaning if there is an environmental contributor for the disease? If so is it found as plentiful over there? Remember Dr Parkinson (Discoverer of this disease) first found it and wrote about it around the start of the industrial revolution in New York City (long island if I remember right). So many things that they don't know. I don't know what the rate is in India nor what percentage of the population has P.D. nor am I myself sure of the percentage here in America or world wide. If someone has this data and would like to share it I'd be interested in seeing it. And don't worry if there was a "cure" or preventive proven to work beyond a shadow of a doubt it could not remain suppressed.

By dans316 On 2013.02.03 19:48
FWIW came across this with a google search.
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/parkinson-disease/by-country/

By dans316 On 2013.02.03 20:12
Another interesting web site.
http://viartis.net/parkinsons.disease/prevalence.htm

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.04 00:01
dans316, Thanks for the postings! Interesting The first one addressing cause of death Parkinson's Disease is a puzzle unless they mean relating death to other causes? While it does have a death rate here in U.S.A. of 3.4 per 100,000 and India 0.3 per 100,000. With many poor areas with little health care other causes could be the mitigating factor in that. However it is interesting that clicking the next at the bottom of that page it brings to cause of death Peptic Ulcer Disease and on that page it lists the rate per country U.S.A. 0.6 per 100,000 and India 12.4 per 100,000 (maybe eating all those curacumin containing peppers?).

The second I find interesting as it addresses prevalence of the disease. Stating in order of those most likely to contract Parkinson's Disease; Hispanics then Whites followed by Asians and lastly Blacks. It also states that hair color seems to point to blondes most likely and black hair color least likely. So instead of being the Curacumin ingesting warding off or slowing Parkinson's Disease it might be the genetic make up of the peoples themselves. As the majority of India is darker skinned with Black hair.

I'm interested in what others think about these links and what the information in them points to?

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.04 12:20
I always go to the "About Us" section of any website...I want to know the validity of the website...still checking these...

By parkinit On 2013.02.06 21:52
I'm getting in this convo late as usual, but I agree that talking about these things helps all of us work through the ins and outs of "natural remedies."

In an undeveloped nation like India, I have to wonder how they could possibly even get a good pulse on deaths and the cause. The people's main concerns are malnutrition, inadequate safe drinking water, and poor sanitation, to name a few. Keeping good stats on death causes seems pale in comparison to these bigger, more widespread health issues.

Also, you have to wonder why the UAE has 0% Parkinson's reported, yet they have, basically, the same diet as many Americans with fast food restaurants and a high diversity of other ethnic foods.

By dkleinert On 2013.02.06 22:14
I want to report something. I admit it might be an anomoly to just us. After reading all of the possible drug interactions I could find (and after reading your post, Al), I found none because my PWP is not taking any blood thinners or anything other than Mirapex and Carbidopa/Levadopa.

Two nights ago I gave him 2, 450mg Curcumin capsules before he went to sleep. When he woke up he reported that he had much less pain that night and only woke up 2 times versus the 4-5 he usually wakes up because he is in pain from being uncomfortable. Yesterday I gave him 2, 450mg capsules 3 times during the day, the last being at bedtime. When he woke up this morning -today being a day he was to see his PT, he woke up feeling "good" which is a rare word from him, came out of his bathroom having shaved off his beard, dressed, and wearing his cowboy boots that he has not been able to wear in a long time because his feet swell pretty frequently dispite all of the exercise he does. I went to work. I was stunned at the smiling face he showed to me when I left. I came home after he had been with his PT this afternoon, and I asked how it went....he said it went "great"! was his response. I noticed he was still smiling and standing pretty erect. Then I got a call from his PT. Her first words to me were "What happened to Joe??? He did awesome today - he flew through all of our routine! I went home on Monday and cried to my husband that I was so worried about my favorite patient because he was declining so much lately - Donna, what happened?"

Well, I told her. She was so excited! I am excited! Joe is excited. This afternoon after his PT session he usually sleeps for a couple of hours. I told him I would help him take off his boots so he could rest - he said "I feel too good - don't need a nap" I am still stunned. He is still up and doing great! I asked him how he feels tonight - he said - "surprisingly good - have not felt this way in a long time"

Now I know most of you will think this is psychosomatic, and it could be, only time will tell. I just had to share this - hope I don't offend anyone or upset anyone that I took this into my own hands without the doctor's blessing. I did leave a message for the docs nurse a couple of days ago and she has not called me back.

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.06 22:41
Wow! Who CARES why he had such great experiences! If th curcumin worked, hooray!!!

Have a great evening! YEA!!!!

By parkinit On 2013.02.07 10:02
Thanks for reporting, Donna. It is very encouraging. Let us know if this continues...please!! :) So happy for you both!

By parkinit On 2013.02.07 19:42
I found this article on curcumin, which may be of interest to all of us:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/curcumin_helps_change_gene_function_to_combat_cancer/

The restorative DNA implications are huge!

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.07 20:33
Park it, that was an amazing article, I will forward this to my son. Bless you. I see my own doctor in two weeks and will ask her and report back....she is open to all kind of treatments. Thanks!!

By parkinit On 2013.02.17 23:21
Curcumin. We have been taking this three times a day for the past two weeks and we have noticed no difference. I am discontinuing.

By dkleinert On 2013.02.20 22:43
parkinit: There are many varieties of curcumin. Life Extension has done clinical trials and found incredible results with the Super Bio-Curcumin complex that they developed. I have read that many of the available types of Curcumin are very difficult to digest, and thus you don't feel the results. Based on the new evidence they have published, their brand is 7X more absorbable and digestible, thus making it available to the cells that need it. I can tell you that I have been taking it for 6 weeks now and the decrease in all of my pain, stiffness and swelling in my knees is nothing short of a miracle. My pwp has been taking it also, and he now only wakes up 1 time per night instead of 4 or 5 in the past because he does not wake up in pain as he used to in the past. We are taking this:
http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00407/Super-Bio-Curcumin.html?source=search&key=Curcumin
It is Super Bio Curcumina 400mg by Life Extension

It may not work for everyone, however, the growing body of evidence supports what we are experiencing. It has given me back my ability to work with ease daily, and really need that because I am our bread-winner. It has also much increased my stamina.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you