For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic On unexpected stimuli for new changes Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mylove On 2013.02.02 10:37
So Shakydog has been 'retired' for two weeks now, and we're still trying to find the new rhythm. He's got projects in the garage to work on, and a lot of napping that he's been doing to try to catch up on the brutal fatigue. I think finally it's starting to have some positive effect. Things have calmed down around here; the kids are all back where they belong and the house is back to normal.

One of the things we've been trying to do and we promised we'd get to after he retired was to take a daily walk. We have two dogs, a Border collie/whippet and a dachshund. Both have a great deal of energy and need some walk time to burn some of it off. There's a big open area of a couple acres behind our house where development hasn't happened yet, with a nice walk path through it, so we like to go stroll out through there and make the loop home, letting the dogs run loose for a while. Seems to do everyone good. But somehow there just never seems to be the right time to make that a priority, even if it benefits everybody all the way round.

The dachshund, being a dachshund, has about two pounds to lose. Shakydog's enjoyed a pretty good summer full of BBQ and has a few to lose himself (sorry, honey! And your BBQ was too tempting for me, too!!). ;)

To make a long story short, over the last two days, now that things are quiet, we of course had to have a catastrophe. The weiner dog got sick. Last night she was hurting so bad we took her in to the vet, and the news wasn't good. It's her back, the bane of dachsies. Her whole lifestyle has to change. No jumping, no sitting pretty, no leaping like Superman off couches and decks. Ramps for everything, and no more steps. And she has a new pill regimen of steroids and muscle relaxers, AND was instructed to get more exercise and lose those two pounds. For at least the next two weeks, she's going to need an all-day babysitter to perform those tasks.

So there's the two of them, staring at each other, thinking "Pills, pills and more pills", and contemplating who is going to take whom for a long daily walk.

Isn't it funny sometimes what life throws in your way?

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.02 12:02
Wondered where you have been...Sorry to hear about the little guy. Not the best way to start his retirement...another project!

Glad you are walking...it is hard to set up a special time...I could only do it very early in the morning when I walked daily. Carl prefers the heat of the day! And, going uphill! lolol

Have a great weekend...getting ready for our monthly PD meeting...it's a commitment...almost 45 minute drive, one way... Hugs, Jane

By parkinit On 2013.02.06 21:34
Mylove -
So very sorry to hear about your dog. Well, all the more reason to get to that exercise program, huh? The doctor has ordered it for the dog! How ironic that this may be the impetus that gets you all started on those walks.

My best to you and wish you all great health and the best to shaky and company in losing those few pounds.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you