For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic ripped chest muscle? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.17 21:43
First, we've already been to a doctor who ran an EKG which was normal, so it's not heart-related...

But my husband has had this horrible cough for weeks now and I think he might have ripped a chest muscle with all of the coughing, it's on his side where the arm and chest meet, and it hurts when he uses his arm to pull on something or push himself up. And of course he keeps coughing, which the doctor put him on antibiotics for, which I think is keeping the muscle from healing. has anyone had this and what did you do?

I keep thinking if he can just stop coughing, his muscle might heal and then it won't hurt?

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.17 22:49
My husband has been coughing a lot for over three weeks, but hasn't had a muscle tear. Last year, he did have shoulder trouble and went to a doctor who ran xrays and sent him to six weeks' therapy and shots...could your neuro recommend these tests and then a therapist? It helped him a great deal because he had a torn rotator cuff...I realize these are separate issues, but perhaps physical therapy might help. It's worth a phone call, anyhow...Good luck...Jane

By parkinit On 2013.02.17 23:57
Maybe a pulled muscle ?

By McCall On 2013.02.18 08:40
This is not an answer to what may be wrong but to your comment about it not being the heart. I doubt it is, however, you said his EKG was normal, well when I was having my heart attack my EKG remained perfectly normal the entire time.
Just something to keep in mind regarding heart attacks.

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.18 09:35
Mccall, that is darned scary. And how is it that the doc acts like the EKG is definitive when it obviously is not (this was not our regular doc, thank goodness)? How can an EKG be normal DURING a heart attack? That makes me wonder about the value of having an EKG done in the first place, if it can be normal while someone is actually in the throes of a heart attack. Now I feel we need to see a heart guy, just to be sure, have him get up on the treadmill thing with the leads on his chest, just for peace of mind...

Thanks all for your comments.

By dans316 On 2013.02.18 11:53
This link might explain what a normal ekg and abnormal ekg mean.
http://housecalldoctor.quickanddirtytips.com/which-tests-diagnose-heart-problems.aspx

Years ago when vacuum tubes were the norm in TVs and Radios and other electronic devices, they had testers to check if a tube was good or bad. The Rule of Thumb was that if the tester indicated the tube was bad, it was, but if it indicated the tube was good, that was not necessarily true, so it seems to be with EKG machines.

By chroop67 On 2013.02.18 13:14
I had a horrible cough a few years back that lasted awhile and actually cracked a rib. Very painful.

By McCall On 2013.02.18 15:52
Yes the ER doctor wanted to give me antacids and send me home, but since I had a 20 year history of angina, they decided to keep me overnight and do an angiogram in the morning which they were sure would show nothing wrong, well they did it and found my main Left artery was 98% blocked. and through everything the EKG remained perfectly normal.

By parkinit On 2013.02.18 20:06
chroop - I was thinking possibly a cracked rib, too. I have heard it happens from coughing at times...

By karolinakitty On 2013.02.21 22:09
lurking... I didn't see this in any of the answers BUT Dystonia of the chest muscles.....

because of our diverse contacts we belong to a movement disorder group which entails those who are afflicted with Dystonia.

The chest muscles and the heart muscles are just that "muscles" . Dystonia can affect these muscles... for the longest time Jim had this issue ...again...when he was on requip..12mg at that time...He couldn't even turn a wrench without wretching in pain and coughing his head off....I haven't been around for a while so don't know what your husband is on now...but either way this could be an issue....Jim had dystonia so bad in his legs it caused a hairline fracture. If he is having dystonia issues in the chest area...it could have cause a hairline fracture of the rib...Dystonia is a twisting of the muscles..Jims calf muscle in the back would end up in the front...after time it caused a fracture.....just another thought!!!!!

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.27 00:11
lfac, I injured my side coughing this past fall, Doctor said it was not a cracked rib could be a muscle tear or ligament, It's taken a long time (months) to heal but is a whole lot better now just a twinge now and then when doing something strenuous. Thinking about that and thinking about this thread. I'm wondering, some of our drugs cause dental problems. What I'm wondering about is if they cause brittle teeth and tooth loss (which is what they are reported to do) what happens after most of our teeth are gone? Or if a patient has dentures? If it is the calcium in our teeth that is effected then are our bones also undergoing calcium loss? I try to keep calcium in my system (big bowl of ice cream nightly and a tums daily). As I said I've been tossing this around in my mind lately with more young onset patients going years with P.D. they're finding some things often associated with "old age" can have other contributing factors. I don't have any answer but am interested in what others are going through? Are other patients cracking bones easily in falls and such? Are these isolated cases or is it something that might need to be looked at? Have Caregivers noticed changes in hurts from our falls?

By dans316 On 2013.02.27 11:18
Al,

My wife started Advair in 2002 for COPD,
in 2005 her hip broke and they did a bone density test. Results were she had Osteoporosis, so she was put on Calcium and Fosomax. I did question her "lung doctor" about Advair as long term use can result in loss of bone density, he did order a lower dose. At the time I wondered why someone going on drugs like Advair wouldn't automatically get a Dexa Scan as she had never had one done.
Now I would also think a Dexa Scan should also be done for Parkinson patients as they are at increased risk of falling.

Oh I should add that when she was going for checkups for the first hip fracture, we met with a dietician who gave a list of foods rich in calcium, sorry but ice cream was not ranked very high in calcium. Still I make sacrifices for my PWP and we have ice cream almost every night:)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you