For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Support, I never realized Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By olpilot On 2013.02.19 03:09
This is the first time I've tried this here, but anyway. I am a pwp, dx about 2 yeas ago, took awhile, no tremor, balance problems, on and on penty know that story. What I want to say though is about my wife and support goups. Where we live in southern Wi there was no group, no place to go, so my wife contacted the Wi Parkinsons Assoc and got the ball rolling. It took abou 6 or 7 months but she did it. We started meeting last Oct and with the suport of my neuro, the Wi parkinsons Assoc, and the hospital here, who provide the meeting space we have a great group.

I was not all that excited about it, but went along with it, I had questions, worries, fears, but never much of a joiner. Thank God listened to her I have meet the most increadable, courageous, wonderful group of people. The first meeting was about 12 of us, went pretty well, a little unsure of what to do, but nice. This last week we ran out of chairs and space, about 40 showed up!! People are bringing their childen, grandchildren, folks who have never gotten together with a group are coming, I never reslized how important this is.

We are getting great speakers, last week a therapist for LVST spoke, and a couple of her clients were there. Heartbreaking and inspiring all at once. People who have had this thing for 20+ years you would be hard pressed to tell, people dx'd for a couple years who could barely walk. Younger than me, I'm 61, people in their 80's. All different, all the same tied together by this disease. One fellow who was new made a real impression on many of us, was dx about 5 yeats ago, said he was a real chatter box back when. After the presentation asked the therapist, " ca......n .....yoouuuuu.....hhheeelppp mmmmeee tooooo arrrrtttiiccuuullllaaatttee...... bbeetttteer?"

There was not a MJF, or a single person there who did something, or did't do something that caused this to happen to them, it was a growing group who come together because we need each other. I am truely greatful to have met everyone there, and am looking foward to meeting everyone who comes through the door. Children, grandchildren, friends of pwp, speakers, all of whom without would make living with this so much worse. I just had to say out loud how greatful I am.

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.19 09:17
Welcome, YOU made me cry! I tried for about six months to get my husband to go to our local group, too...Now, he looks forward to it. At 65, we are the youngest, but that's ok now...they have lots of information and speakers, so we go each month. I hope your group knows how you feel...it is a testament to their success...and, again, welcome! Jane

By karolinakitty On 2013.02.21 21:36
Glad you got in touch with them...they are a great bunch of good folks....

Worked with getting some folks to them...

SInce you are new..I would like to invite you to check out our website:

www.parkinsonpanda.org

I only suggest that for our blogs.....we have
Moving Mondays= exercises
talking Tuesday= speech pathologist certified in LSVT
Whacky Wednesday= Yuma Bev and parky humor
thursday thoughts = PD bloggers
formal fridays= me begging for money(lol)
you don't have to read that one......

By parkinit On 2013.02.22 18:48
Support is wonderful. I'm glad you found a family of great people who are coming together, growing together, feeling compassion together and understand one another's plight.

Blessings to you and yours ~

Welcome!

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you