For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Trouble with constipation issues Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By annieb5767 On 2013.02.19 16:36
Does anyone have solutions for dealing with constipation? We have tried everything and nothing works.

By trapper On 2013.02.19 17:11
AnnieB

Try eating All Bran" cereal evey morning for breakfast.

Sorry if you have already tried this without success. You do need to give it a few days tho.

trapper.

By annieb5767 On 2013.02.19 17:43
Tried Raisin Bran. I will give it a try:)

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.19 18:18
Organic unrefined coconut oil...makes the hair extra luscious too:) You can mix it in smoothies, put it in yogurt, make a "fugde" with equal part of chocolate chips and coconut oil, melt gently, pour into loaf pan, and freeze...throw in some nuts for crunch when blending-this also give extra decadence (and omega fats!)

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.19 18:24
Lurking, is coconut oil low in fat? Just wondering, sounds great, but we are on Weight Watchers! LOL...it's not in their literature ;)

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.19 19:45
Well, no, it's a fat, so it's not low cal...but a couple Tablespoons of this stuff every day and you'll be running like clockwork! It's incredibly healthy as well, see Dr. Newport's book about coconut oil and Alz. (her husband). Also we believe in the old "an apple a day..." notion.

By Trusting On 2013.02.20 10:13
Have you ever tried Cascara Segrada (vitamin aisle). It really helps. Also the coconut oil is good (I even use it on my face and skin), grapes, oranges and raisins. The doctor prescribes something with Senna in the name. I will have to find it and post later. Make sure to drink lots of liquid, especially water.

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.20 11:54
Annwood, a former member, swore by "smooth move" tea...I think it has henna in it. We bought some, but (1) my hubby doesn't like to drink tea and (2) it was not particularly tasty.

By Freespirit On 2013.02.20 16:39
A glass of good old fashion prune juice every single day. . . the only thing that keeps my husband from getting blocked up. The key is "every single day."

By carman96 On 2013.02.20 23:33
My Dr. Told me to take milk of magnesia every day. It really works. He said it is magnesium and there is no down side to it.
my hubby has not had as bad of constipation as when he was on pain pills for his back. His Dr. Prescribed something called generlac which seems to help him. If he remembers to take it of course.

By parkinit On 2013.02.22 00:29
We had a severe case recently. We used several doses of miralax per day which usually works. It didn't this times. Finally, after six days of nothing working, a nurse told me to try a concoction they jokingly called the bomb among her fellow nurses. It is 6-8 ounces of prune juice mixed with a dose of miralax and a double dose of milk of magnesia. It worked. We were also doing senna brownies - brownies with ground up senna leaves in them. You can order the senna leaves online.

By annieb5767 On 2013.02.25 10:44
Thanks everyone. I am listening. I tried the senna tea. Another time, tried a concoction of equal parts milk of magnesia and prune juice heated. Tried apple and prune juice heated.Also tried a jelly. To make jelly, I heated 16 ounes of water with senna tea(two tea bags). Let it simmer with cup each of prunes,apricots and raisins. After cooked I put it in the blender and made jelly. Put on buttered toast.Told him it was grape jelly-he liked it.Tried Karo syrup in his peanut butter/crackers.Tried rubbing his tummy clockwise first thing in the morning.I am going out this morning to get coconut oil to make fudge:) I have done all this over the course of the last week and a half. Today is the 10th day with no results. We did a fleet enema. He immediately had results. I hate having to resort to that. I will keep searching for natural solutions.

By Threadhead On 2013.02.26 12:24
[deleted]

By Lynnie2 On 2013.02.26 16:46
What about stool softener in pill form or liquid form.
My PDer. takes Apo - Lactulose (liquid) once a day.
or Senokot 8.6 mg.(pill form at bedtime) - both prescription medication though.

Also the All Bran sprinkled on top of any cereal should help too.

By VioletV On 2013.02.26 19:35
We swear by this recipe:

1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup prune juice.
Mix and keep refrigerated.

Start by taking 1 Tablespoon a day and work up to 2 or 3. My PD husband had a TERRIBLE problem with constipation and now (it took a couple of weeks) it's not a problem or issue at all. He was taking Metamusil and stool softeners but that just made the stool bulkier and harder to pass.

By lilflower On 2013.02.27 21:32
My hubby likes Plum Smart and they make a light Plum Smart also. If he drinks it regularly it helps with his constipation. He drinks 3 to 4 bottles every week.

By annieb5767 On 2013.03.01 11:06
Well it's me again, and I have GREAT news! I got the coconut oil and can say that I have found success in looking for a natural way to avoid costipation:) I used Spectrum (Organic,refined). Bought at Wal-Mart,around six dollars. That sounds expensive but I now don't have to buy laxatives,stool-softeners,suppositories,enemas and other products. For the past six years my love has been going anywhere from 7 to 13 days without using the bathroom.His doctors have tried stool softeners,Lactulose and other things. Nothing worked. I have tried prune juice,laxitives,enemas,suppositories and monitoring his diet-increasing fiber. Nothing worked-until now. The coconut oil works. It is magic!

I used it to make fudge. Equal parts coconut oil and milk chocolate chips melted in microwave. I heat I minute & stir and heat 1 minute and stir -continue until melted.Then, I stirred in a cup of raisins and 1/2 cup milled golden flax seed(tastes like nuts-good fiber). I mixed this in a rectangular plastic tuppeware bowl. I put it in the freezer until the fudge set up. It was ready very quickly. I give him 2 squares a day for a snack.

He starts the morning with warm prune and apple juice (mixed 1/2 cup each), and a couple of cookies.

Also, I fry his breakfast meat in the coconut oil and cook his egg in it. I add it to his grits- half and half with butter. He hasn't noticed a difference.

I also give him the senna,prune and raisin jelly(mentioned in my earlier post) on buttered toast at breakfast. I tell him it is grape jelly. He likes it.I am delighted to say that he has used the bathroom three days in a row. These were normal stools,not runny or hard. I will always be thankful to you caregivers who led me to these solutions. Together we can make it. Be sure to check out my post on bathing if you have difficulty in that department.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you