For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic nicotine research Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.20 12:34
I dont' know if I ever posted here that upon dx, we immediately began using the nicotine patch because of the research linking it with PD (smokers are much less likely to get PD, etc.). We used the patch for over 2 years, along with mirapex, and it was pretty helpful. Had to quit because my husband said he felt like it made his offs more severe.

At any rate, here is a post from another forum talking about nicotine and PD, if true, it is very promising:

" Nicotine is doing it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

I have stopped Dr Paneri treatment but i have continued the Nicotine protocol ,that my Neuro,the brilliant Pr Gabriel Villafane is giving me ...
I am now on a 31 mg dose every day...my last visit to him was 2 weeks ago

this is done in a french public hospital,Villafane is the Director of the Neurologic dpt so this is very serious and official,French State funded research...
Ok,i am gonna write it ...Villafane is now with 3 cases of totally cured PD patients through his Nicotine protocol...when i say cured it means that the patients don't have to take meds,Nicotine patches...they are cured

A german and american Big pharma lab have bought his research and there should be some specific Nicotine meds coming up in about 2 years

The Nicotine seems to be very efficient for Alzheimer,PD and most Neurologic disease

Concerning my case,i am far from cured but definitely much,much better than 2 years ago (when i started the Nico )
i don't have severe fatigue,continuous transpiration,and i def shake much,much less than before.
I am taking sinemet 100 ,four times/day .
Sunshine helps a lot too . this past summer,for 3 days and half in a row,i was able to function almost normal,without taking any sinemet at all
it was gorgeous

So my guess is that PD is def not just a dopamine related disease .
it seems melatonin,and serotonin are key factors for me and my PD .

i did not post anymore about my nicotine great progress,as i received so many nicotine bashing comments,when i did report last year.

it seems Nicotine takes about 4 years to transform in very good,radical way a PD patient.

there is light in this dark tunnel,dear PD fellows !!"

This is from the neurotalk forum, fyi.

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.20 12:47
My husband just asked, why would I knowingly put nicotine in my body? Remember, his Dad died of lung cancer....I find it interesting...been reading about it this last year.

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.20 16:29
We actually have nicotinic receptors in the brain, whether we smoke or not. And using nicotine in a patch is not the same as inhaling it...no lung damage in the former, but deadly in the latter. If it might help with PD....why not? I dont' see any real difference between sinemet and nicotine, they are both mind-altering substances, it's just one drug over another, and it would depend on which one works better for you with fewer/more tolerable side effects, right?

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.20 17:17
I agree with you..why not? ;) I guess the other studies we have read stress a link between caffeine and Parkinson's....supposedly, people who use caffeine daily are less likely to get PD...However, Carl and his Mom were HEAVY Coke drinkers, and he still is...odd...even the 23andme asked about caffeine several times...

He isn't ready to do many drugs right now...all he is on is Requip three times a day...he refuses Sinemet and /or LDopa each time it is offered...choosing to go without drugs is an option, I guess...so far, he manages well most days.

By karolinakitty On 2013.02.21 22:14
Thereis a study right now at the NIH on this very topic...they are using nicotine patches in lieu of drugs like requip/mirapex/azilect on those newly diagnosed with YOPD...don't know when trial is complete but as soon as I know I'll post results...

lurking is right though we all have nicotine receptors before we ever even lit a butt...lol

By Liliana On 2013.02.24 04:40
I am definitely getting Simon started on patches, I've been talking about it for some time, and these postings have now totally made my mind up. It's strange because he had never smoked in his life, was totally anti smoking to point that when we met I gave up smoking because he hated it SO much. Then he started smoking...at 40! I could not believe it.....now on reflection I think that it was PD related...it's almost as though his body was craving/asking for nicotine. He was diagnosed with PD 3 years later. He went from a non smoker to a chain smoker so quickly it was unbelievable, and I mean smoking with a passion, right down to the butt, squashed soggy filter. I think that it can't be all that bad to just have the nicotine in patch form, it's all the chemicals in cigarettes that are incredibly toxic and the tar you put in your lungs.

By mylove On 2013.02.24 08:40
If you go back through my posts from the last couple years you'll see where Shakydog had a medical incident and the doctors convinced him to QUIT smoking (he's been a long time smoker). It had some pretty catastrophic results.

As it turns out, the nicotine was buffering the balance of his PD meds and once we removed it from the equation, it was like starting from scratch all over again. Nothing worked. He was miserable for a year while he stuck it out, then finally started the e-cigarette just for the nicotine. Now he's back to where things are working again. For the record, he would have used the patch but he's very allergic to the adhesive, so the e-cigs were the next best alternative.

We fought hard to get the doctors to admit that nicotine could be beneficial in certain circumstances (it's a knee-jerk reaction for most of them to reject it - after all, haven't we all been taught since we were small that smoking is BAD?). Finally, his neuro did admit that she had read some of the same studies he had and concurred with our experimentation with adding it back in in a different format.

There is a LOT we don't understand about the brain and it's chemicals and receptors yet. I'm certain this is only the tip of the iceberg. What I am positive about is that his body was relying on the nicotine and taking it away was a mistake. Nicotine in this case appeared to work either in conjunction with PD meds in the same capacity; or was working to potentiate them, in a similar fashion to how you take caffeine to 'rush' other meds across the blood/brain barrier.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you