For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic No Energy and Shortness of Breath Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By theresa On 2013.02.22 15:34
Hi. This is my first time on here. My husband was diagnosed with PD at the age of 36. He is now almost 50 and I must say he has been doing very well all those years until now. His health is steadily declining. The past few months he has had no energy and always complained of shortness of breath. He would be sweating profusely and literally out of breath just by picking up a piece of paper off the floor. We went to the ER and the ER doc told him he needed steroids in both adrenal glands. The glands were slowly shutting down and that was the reason he was very fatigued and short of breath. I'm not sure if anyone else has had that problem before but I just wanted to put this out there. The doc informed us it is very hard to diagnose unless you know what you are looking for. The only reason the doc knew was becuz he had it before and just by my husband's symptoms, he knew right away what the problem was. So, my hubby went home with steroid pills to take for a week. He has more energy now and he says he feels good. Not tired as often but he still has to wear his oxygen mask at night. Thanks. Theresa.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.22 15:54
Hi theresa, Welcome to the forum. Shortness of breath and profuse sweating is common with Parkinson's. As the disease progresses our autonomic nervous system becomes more and more affected. The part that runs things which we take for granted and just seem to run on their own. Like breathing and blood pressure. The sweating is common as movement is harder to do and tremor (inside or outside) uses energy on us. They have likened a Person living with Parkinson's Disease and just going about daily tasks uses as much energy as a "normal"person who is doing moderate exercise. So it is common for us to feel tired most of the time. Heck as time goes on we can and do sweat buckets as our bodies try to assimilate or absorb our medications. Many ER doctors aren't aware of these problems We Parkinson's Disease Patients face. I think you might want to run it by His Neurologist just to double check the ER doctors diagnosis of the problem. It certainly can't hurt and His Neurologist knows more about PD and how it effects Us. Again welcome to the forum, you've found a great place filled with caring people who will do their best to help any way they can. Please let Us know how you make out and How He's doing.Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By parkinit On 2013.02.22 19:23
It happens a lot to my spouse. I usually take his blood pressure, oxygen level and temp, just to make sure, but if these are all normal, I just have him sit down and relax and it will pass.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you