For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Pets & Anxiety Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2013.02.24 13:43
I read a recent AARP Magazine article that stated the following regard pets and those who who prone to anxiety (like some of our PWPs):
"Karen Allen, Ph.D., of the State of University of New York at Buffalo, studied 240 married couples, discovered that the presence of a pet was more effective than a spouse or a friend in easing the effects of stress. Pets foster self-esteem, calmness, soothing, and a feeling of acceptance. Pet owners have been found to have lower blood pressure and fewer stress hormones circulating in their blood."

So, if you have a spouse with anxiety issues, having a pet will help!

By Freespirit On 2013.02.25 11:11
I can attest to this!
My dear husband has such difficulty with initiating activity and getting anything done. SO different from how he used to be, but now the "new normal" for us. However, we have a little Maltese who I trained to use wee-wee pads instead of going outside, and guess what, my husband ALWAYS makes sure that little dog's wee-wee pads are changed! Guess who sits in the chair beside him all day? Yep, you guessed it. They are real buds. . .

By parkinit On 2013.02.26 22:35
Cool story, FreeSpirit! Thanks for sharing. My lab mix brings in the paper for my PWP every morning. They are close, too.

By Freespirit On 2013.02.27 09:05
How adorable, parkinit!!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you