For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Weight Watchers and PD Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.24 18:24
Sorry to start so many topics, but I seem to have a lot of PD related issues on my mind...Here's another...

I started back on Weight Watchers a few weeks ago...doing well, lowered my bp some...not enough, yet, but working on it ;)...Then, unexpectedly, my PWP decided HE should do the same.

My question is simple...While I know WWs is healthy and good for almost anyone, does a person with PD NEED to lose weight? He says he wants to lose 15-20 pounds. Won't that affect his PD meds? Remember, we have a terrible neuro, or I'd ask him.

By parkinit On 2013.02.26 22:48
Jane -

If your husband is overweight, it is great that he wishes to join you. What a great thing to do together.

It is a good idea to contact the doctor about weight loss and med adjustments.

Also, if this were my spouse, I would closely monitor to see if he has more dyskenesia or "overdose" symptoms (euphoria). If so, he would obviously need some adjustments.

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.26 23:10
He only wants to lose 20 pounds! But, he says he always feels better eating the WW's way. ;) I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with limiting foods...thanks!

By Lynnie2 On 2013.02.27 17:38
My husband is the opposite. Over the last 2 years he has lost 18 pounds without trying. His face is more drawn and his chest and shoulders are smaller so he definitely doesn't need to loose anymore weight.
I guess it depends on the person as to whether they need to loose weight. I don't know in my husband's case if it's from having Parkinson's, but I can't think of any other reason.
He's had xray's and ultra sound, and the only thing showing is some gall stones and his LDL is low.

I am going to ask his MDS next time if Parkinson's is the reason for the weight lose.

Weight Watchers is a healthier diet and if you husband enjoys it, then I don't see any reason as long as he doesn't lose more weigh than necessary. You wouldn't have to prepare 2 meals if you eat the same.

Eating properly is the way of life, not just dieting and then gong back the same bad eating habits and then gaining it all back. Good Luck to you..

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.27 18:16
Lynnie, you are correct. WWs is a healthier diet and he doesn't need to lose; we know there will come a time when he will fight to keep the weight ON. I think he thinks he needs to lose the weight he has gained from being less active because of retiring last year. He take bp meds already, and I know he's concerned because his Mom had PD and his Dad had cancer (lung, from smoking) and high BP.

I am doing well on WW's and spoke with my doctor on Friday. She's behind it 100 percent and offered plastic surgery for a tummy tuck if I lose the weight I keep saying I am going to lose! LOL...so, onward and upward.

I thought WW's would be good for us both, for me in the long run and him to feel like he is in control of at least one part of his health. Thanks! Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.27 18:29
Lynne, weight loss can be a secondary symptom of Parkinson's, from? They really don't know, tremors or large amounts of energy used up in movement (involuntary or stiffness and overcoming rigidity) or trouble swallowing. But it is common in many cases of P.D.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you