For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Acid reflux Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2013.02.27 08:55
At our last appt. our neuro told us my husband has acid reflux and wants him to go on a proton pump inhibitor. I have looked into these drugs and they decrease the amount of stomach acid which helps with the reflux but in doing so, cause all kinds of vitamin and mineral problems because the body is no longer absorbing them from food, not enough acid:(

Specifically, these drugs are publicly linked to osteoporosis because calcium cannot be taken up and calcium absorption is critical to things like magnesium There are other known problems that are not as known, such as big problems with the balance of vitamin B, which PWP already have issues with because of sinemet. What is one to do?

This is important because acid reflux can cause esophageal cancer and the prognosis for that is poor.

I can't believe my husband is having to deal with this on top of the PD. It adds a new level of fear as well as additional uncomfortable physical symptoms (heartburn, for one, the new drug will bring additional surprises not doubt).

Does anyone deal with this, and how?

By jcoff012 On 2013.02.27 09:22
My husband has had terrible acid reflux for years and has tried many otc pills, as well as prescription drugs. Some seem to work for awhile, then not. I wish I could tell you what to do, but no doctor has prescribed the proton pump inhibitor. I just know it is painful and he has taken to eating only a salad at night, because anything else bothers him.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.02.27 15:21
I think that all Parkinson's Disease Patients have or will develop Acid reflux in time. Simply put; Acid reflux is caused by the valve that separates the stomach contents from the esophagus is faulty. This sounds very similar to the cause of our aspirating foods and liquids because the valve or flap separating our lungs from the esophagus is faulty due to Parkinson's Disease's interference with the automatic closing when swallowing. And yes I deal with this also. How? Pretty poorly I guess, ant-acids, trying to stay away from foods that really "kick it in gear" at bed time (no late night snacks) and plenty of water on the night stand in reach and a lot of tossing and turning at times spiced with a few cuss words.

I think this could be another problem of treating a symptom or result of our P.D., looking at it as a separate entity instead of a part and parcel that comes with our disease. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

We're all in the same game; Just different levels.
Dealing with the same Hell; Just different devils

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you