For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sundowning Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mytngenes On 2013.03.03 00:01
Is anyone here experiencing the phenomena known as "sundowning" with their PWP? If so, what have you discovered that helps with the anxiety/panic/restlessness?

Thanks!

By moonswife On 2013.03.03 11:01
mytngenes,
My husband is increasingly clumsy. Worries about falls, and can he get up. The dark house is perceived as a place full of potential trip hazards, so we have put night lights in nearly every low electrical outlet. At night I kind of feel like I am at the airport just about to hit the tarmac as I head to the loo.

By oshroshr On 2013.03.03 23:09
Lots of nightlights here too. Also more anxiety at night and it is increasing.
Never know what the day or night is going to bring. Is this true of anyone else

By Freespirit On 2013.03.04 08:29
Thanks so much for bringing this up!

I've noticed that my husband has been using flashlights at night and keeps them close like he's attached to them. . . this in spite of us having nightlights in the house. Though he does not appear to be anxious, I am going to talk to him about this.

It never occurred to me that he could be anxious. Duh. That's why I love this forum!

More nightlights on the way!!!

By blue2 On 2013.03.04 12:09
Mytngenes,
My husband takes klonopin/clonazapam for sundowners and anxiety.

By parkinit On 2013.03.08 23:03
Sometimes my spouse gets very anxious at night. He thinks he sees shadows of people outside, he's fanatical about locking all the doors. I know one fear he has is that someone could break in and he could not protect himself, his wife, or his home.

We have lots of night lights around, too. I like the plane coming in for a landing analogy!

By lilflower On 2013.03.13 22:21
Nightlights , flashlights, motion lights and sometimes he sleeps with his glasses on because he wakes up in a panic because he can't see.

By Confused72567 On 2013.04.28 13:40
Thank you for this post.
Though I am not sure if it is sundowning for my father or not. I do know that if I do not leave his television on all night he freaks out.
Which I am now finding to be a two edged sword because he is having difficulty differentiating between reality and television.
Many nights he has screamed out for me (via baby monitor) to come help him for me to find out the telvision show was about someone being chased and killed. When I am awake I do my utmost to restrict such programs due to his confusion.
I have attempted to get him to agree to no television to no avail. He says it helps him sleep (NOT)
The only thing I have found that works at that moment is to turn the lights on for a few minutes and sure enough back to sleep he will go. This does happen several times a night though not every night.
I wish you the best of luck

By VioletV On 2013.04.29 16:27
HI - about the TV. How about choosing a large number of videos, putting them into the TV and controlling what comes through. It might be worth getting a DVR (I don't have one, but I know about them in theory) or a netflix account so he can have the input of TV with fewer of these violent and disturbing images.

It's a thought.
Violet

By lilflower On 2013.05.03 12:01
Put the radio on to his favorite station not loud just barely . It soothes him and also helps me to sleep by masking some of his noises.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you