For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Dan, your opinion, please... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.05 17:52
Aloha, Dan...and June!

Carl wants to make the trip to Maui...what do you think? Did you both go after dx? He is still high functioning, but has left side tremors and they get worse when he's stressed. The other day, he wouldn't go into the doctor's with me because he said he gets "uncomfortable" around people he knows who haven't seen him for awhile.

We made a week long trip down to Disneyland and Yosemite before Christmas (in a motor home with our grandson and his parents). Except that it was a LOT of driving, he did ok...had a few spells where he walked away to get away from the noise (panicked me, but I kept it under control).

Just wondered if the humidity and the long hours sitting in the plane were factors in making the trip?

He sees himself worsening these last few months and really wants to go, but I know it's because we cancelled our last trip three years ago to be our grandson's caregiver...He told me he didn't want to leave me without going back...

What do you think? Hugs, Jane

By dans316 On 2013.03.05 20:35
Aloha Jane,

June was dxd in 2006 and we went in 2007 and 2008, but both of them were cruises out of Ensenada to Honolulu. Both plane trips had layovers in Dallas, so the flights going over weren't that long and June had no problem with them. We lucked out and had first class on both return flights going directly from Honolulu to Atlanta, again no problem for June. Although June was dxd in 2006, she really has not had problems with tremors since taking Sinemet nor any problems with anxiety or stress yet. Even now her only problems are mobility, incontinence and posture. The mobility only reared it's ugly head in 2010 and the incontinence began in 2009, while on a cruise, embarrassing to say the least, but we had an understanding cabin steward.

Just guessing, but since you've been there many times, you probably aren't going to do any of the touristy things and will get plenty of opportunity to relax. Maybe that would be good for Carl.

Wish I could be of more help.

Dan

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.05 22:24
Thank you, my new friend! Yes, we have our on "private" beaches, etc. The only true "touristy" thing we do is find a restaurant that serves Hula Pie...lol Yummmy!!

Carl has balance problems now and some pretty bad cramping. I am concerned that sitting so long would be painful.

Al says we should not dote over our PWP, but allow him/her some freedom in making decisions...I value your input, as well as his...or anyone who has flown after dx. I also know that Carl will stay active and vital as long as humanly possible.

Hugs and thanks for responding...if you think of anything else, let me know. Jane

By dans316 On 2013.03.06 11:01
[deleted]

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.06 11:55
Yum...mmmy! But, you are right...this picture does NOT do it justice! It has to be the BIGGEST dessert on the planet..macadamia, chocolate, ice cream, and real whipped cream.... Heavenly! Lol

We have been to Duke's in Maui, Waikiki, Lake Tahoe, and San Diego...not all are called Duke's, but all have the same food.

Did you happen to go to Roy's? I met the manager of the one in Oahu through the women's cancer support group at Weight Watcher five years ago...although she is young, beautiful and only needed to lose 20 pounds. She LOVED being the manager, but she moved back to the mainland after she was dx.

One quick PD question...you say June's incontinence came on suddenly. Is this something we need to anticipate if we decide to go? Hugs.

By dans316 On 2013.03.06 13:58
[deleted]

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.06 22:14
We don't need the rubber sheets, yet. However, when the kids were little, we used protective sheets o the training beds..I think the problem of curling comes from the dryer being to hot. If you aren't putting them in the dryer, I have no idea...I defer to others!
Hugs, and I hop you and June have a goo night.

My gorgeous, handsome husband just got his Medicare card and the Parts B and D cards! *I* am not 65 til the end of July. Getting up there!

Hugs.

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.06 22:16
Lol....of COURSE I meant, ' I HOPE you and June have a GOOD night! Lolol

By Rempt2 On 2013.03.08 01:22
have to look into pastic bed sheets tomorrow as hubby coming home Sat (if weather improves). Also have hospital bed in second bedroom but it looks so sterile. Do any of you with others that incontinent problems still have them in regular bed? I was told hospital bed is better for getting up etc. More home modifications maybe (enlarging doorways). Medical equipment company didn't deliver walker which he needs but very large wheelchair; however it looks comfortable. It's been 2 months since he's been home so anxious to have him back.

Love other cultures way of saying hello (Aloha and Hola). Last time this year we were in Spain.

By dans316 On 2013.03.08 09:59
[deleted]

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.08 14:26
Dan, you made my day! When we hosted my husband's assistant's college graduation, her parents, aunties and uncles, and her grandma flew to the mainland for the ceremony. They were a bit intimidated by his position there, so they didn't come to her party til I called them and personally invited them!

It was sweet. They didn't say much at first, asking to see the upstairs...When her dad walked into the master, he exclaimed, "THIS is my favorite shirt!" We laughed and he hugged me...then, he said something that your post explained more fully, "Kini, you have the Aloha spirit." Kini is Jane in Hawaiian..now, I know that the spirit means so much more than the simple appreciation of Hawaii. Hugs!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you