For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Festination Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mytngenes On 2013.03.19 12:50
My PWP is exhibiting episodes of festination (involuntary quickening of gait) to the point where he's basically running with short skipping-like steps. During these episodes it's impossible to walk anywhere with him as he's moving at such a fast pace. Needless to say, going to the store with him like this is a nightmare as he takes off and I have trouble finding him. This is so odd because at other times he freezes in place and can't move his feet at all. Anyone familiar with this or having this issue?

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.03.19 15:32
It's pretty common with the disease not much you can do except try to stop then start walking again (but many times we don't even realize we're doing it until we flop or bump into something, wall, tree, dog, person etc.) Shopping? Lead Us to either sporting goods or tools every couple of feet we'll find something to look at and stop.

By Reflection On 2013.03.19 19:34
oh, Al, you're such a guy.

Wait! No! You have far too much self-awareness to be a guy.

We love you just the way you are.

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.19 22:59
GOOD response!

By parkinit On 2013.03.21 00:07
Festination can be quite dangerous. My guy "festinated" to the back of our vehicle. He again took off before I could get to him and landed on the ground with a broken arm because he couldn't slow himself down. His festination also has caused him a busted head, busted lip, etc., as he fights to get his feet under him, yet goes faster and faster. He is like an out of control rocket. He is pretty much confined to a wheelchair now, however, because of frequent freezing and falls.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you