For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Handicapped Placard Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.19 18:48
Just received the handicapped placard...for my leg, but it will be invaluable to Carl, too...I cannot wait til the end of April, when we tour the UCSF Parkinson's area and go to the conference. I am hoping he will connect with some outstanding and caring doctors. He has always been shy, so I may have to step up and guide him towards that goal! Lol

He had a pensive reaction...I opened the mail, read it and showed him...he stared at it for sometime...reminded me of when I first read, "endometrial cancer"...I knew I was headed for several surgeries and years of followups, but SEEING it in black and white shook me up...He knows I asked my doctor for it with him in mind, and I think SEEING the word "Handicapped" unexpectedly bothered him...

So, as always, I am assuming, Al, you would advise me to work through this and not dwell on it...I am, but, as always, being the nurturer, I want to help...

Hugs and I hope everyone is doing well. jane

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.20 09:22
He seems better this morning...we talked on the ride to pick up our grandson. He said, "I think you are right...it shook me up to SEE it."

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.03.20 16:41
Jane, I'm glad Carl's not too shook up about the handicapped placard. We have to constantly adapt and something's to one don't seem like much but to others they are huge. You both seem to be able to adapt well.

As I said before I find it's the way I view things that helps me. Also I've developed my sense of adapting on the fly as well. A few years ago a friend of mine and I were out "ghost hunting", old dirt road in the woods pitch black out at a covered bridge. Only the light from the flash on the camera to see by. It was great, spooky and "chicken skin" fun! A few days later we went to see the place in the daylight (sometimes we do things bass ackwards). Past the bridge there was a fence too high and rickety for me to climb up, balance atop then climb down. She said I'll be right back I'm going over it and looking up river a little. I looked up and down the fence and found a spot to wriggle through and was soon standing beside Her. As She turned and looked at me with a surprised look on Her face I said Hey I'm differently abled NOT disabled! Yes you are She replied, yes you are.

My placard? Doesn't mean I'm handicapped in any negative way or disabled just now I'm differently abled! Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By jcoff012 On 2013.03.21 18:34
Great story, Al! I have missed hearing from you. Been busy? ;)

We do adapt well, don't we? We take advice from smart people like you, My Friend. We are in this for the long run, right? So, we fight it and try to not give in too much. We will as long as we can. We have his Mom's fighting spirit on our side. Have I ever told you that she and Dad were ballroom dancers until about six years before she died? HE had lung cancer, she had PD...now, isn't that GRAND?!!

(I don't know how many people here realize how thoughtful, kind, and generous with your vast PD knowledge that you are. I, for one, am glad you are onboard here. I always know you are here and that is very comforting to me.)

Like you, I try to keep things light here because so many need a laugh or need to vent their anger or frustration. We do NOT take PD lightly, but we do approach it with "it is what it is", and SOMEONE is worse off than we...

Hugs and thanks for the story...I can see her face! Laughing! Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you