For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic If you knew about today, would you have said, "Yes, I do"? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2013.04.09 14:13
After watching the devotion of Annette Funicello's husband, I had trouble sleeping last night.

I love my husband more than my own life, but if I had known, and had not been through this with his Mom, I wondered if my knowing forty-five years ago, all that we know now about PD, would I have married this man? How about you? Would it have made a difference? Is it selfish to wish this disease never entered our lives? Should we never wonder "what if"?

By McCall On 2013.04.09 18:01
There are other things that may have made me rethink marrying him but not this. I was 16 when I married and he 18, we have been married 44 1/2 years. I have medical problems of my own but I hope I can live long enough to care for him to the end.

I made my choice all those years ago and never once looked back, I plan to spend eternity with this man, first in this world and then in the one to come.

By jcoff012 On 2013.04.09 19:36
Good for you, I agree...just late night pondering...hugs, Jane

By seawench On 2013.04.09 19:47
I would have still said I do , but along the way there are decisions we made that I would change to make things less challenging.

Long term Ins
adoption (We chose not to, I wish I had)
stayed in that one house that would have been paid off by now
Life Insurance policies
Kept paying on that private insurance

What I would not change:
Traveling the world
Learning to sail and having our own boat
Moving closer to family
Adventures
Owning a business (even tho it broke us)

Risk - you pay a price and even if I would change a few things that would have made this easier, I have no true regrets.

35 yrs and still counting
Seawench

By jcoff012 On 2013.04.09 22:39
Susan, what a thoughtful response...

I think this was on my mind because at one time, long before our daughter died, someone asked me, "You married so young and had three kids only 13 months apart (at one time, we had three children under five! Lol)...any regrets? Would you do it again?"

My response was the same before and after her death..no regrets. Loving her, what else matters?

So when I saw how devoted Ms. Funicello's husband was to the end, it preyed on my mind. I, too, have no regrets, other than I regret that my husband saw his PD future by watching the progression of PD by watching his Mom. I wish he had no idea what is coming so he could rest easy.

My lists are long, too. We are well prepared financially for the future, but I wish we had gone one more time to Hawaii, while he was 100 percent. I too, wish we had stayed in our first home; it would have been paid in full many years ago! I wish I hadn't gotten cancer and had to put him through years of worry. And, my lists go on...

But, I have no regrets where Carl I concerned. I know what great loss is, great passion, great pain that only losing a young child can bring, and what great love is. How? Because "I am loved by him." Dan knows Iz's song with those lyrics, right Dan? ;)

I love this man and for u, it will soon be 46 years..Hugs, Jane

By dans316 On 2013.04.10 13:12
[deleted]

By jcoff012 On 2013.04.10 14:13
Aloha, Dan....beautiful...by the way, we held a luau for 60+ a few years ago! Be glad to help plan and make suggestions if needed. I was retired, so I made all the food, down to making pulled pork and serving lava flows! Have good resource for decorations, etc. We were exhausted, but people knew we would have a great one, and we did...everything was homemade from recipes from our friend who ran the Lahaina Luau for years...my lomi lomi was supposed to be good, but I don't like seafood, so...lol Jane Aloha to June ;)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you