For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Talking out loud while sleeping Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By stillunsure On 2013.04.18 16:33
Here's a new topic/question (I seem to be full of them). My husband has recently taken to screeching and having full conversations at night. Even though I already sleep in a different room, it's so loud that it wakes me out of a deep sleep since I think he's calling me. I still work full-time and this has me freaked out! He just increased his sinemet and only takes his usual dose plus his Lexapro at night. When I ask him in the morning if he remembers anything, he absolutely has no recollection. Any suggestions??? We going on vacation soon and will be sleeping in the same room, so I'm getting nervous.

By parkinit On 2013.04.18 19:48
REM sleep disorder is quite common with PWP. Ask your doctor about possible treatments.

By trapper On 2013.04.18 22:25
stillunsure:

My wife with Parkinson's for 11+ years does the same as your husband -- screeches.

Only thing I can suggest when you have to sleep in the same room is to wear ear plugs.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.04.19 00:17
stillunsure, As I alluded to in a prior post the chemical changes in our brains can and do cause behavior changes in Us. The increase in Med's might be the cause or not. I'm sorry I can't tell you for sure. I'm also sorry to Caregivers that We patients aren't who we were pre-Parkinson's, five years ago or ten years ago. I'm sorry that for the most part the medical field doesn't tell you and us this. It seems in their finite wisdom they believe not telling is better for all. Instead they say we can control this and that with medicine. (I'm beginning to think they rank right along with politicians and weather forecasters in telling falsehoods and collecting their pay.)

REM sleep disorder is common with PD in fact it seems so common that I wonder if it should be specified as a secondary symptom instead of the generic "sleep problems" that is listed. And not separated to be tried to treat as a separate entity.

The suggestion of ear plugs is a good one I guess....from my point of view it beats sedation and the foggy effects lingering the next morning. I'm sorry if that sounds distasteful or blunt but it's hard enough to function with the medicine some have now. I'm sorry we progress and with progression the ability of the medical field to "treat and maintain us" becomes more apparent. I'm sorry this disease exists and for the devastating effect it has on the lives of patients, families and friends alike.

Again we're not the people we were before and we never will be; all the druggists and all the hospitals, neurologists, or CDC and FDA or pharmaceutical companies can't put a "Parkey" back together again.

I'm sorry this post isn't up to my regular standards ...... it's spring, here in New England a time for Parkinson's Disease to show Us how much more it has robbed us of over the winter. How much more time it takes to do outdoor tasks left over from fall. How much slower we walk and more loss of movement. How our function has declined. I went to my Neurologist last week, He asked how I was doing? I told him well I'm shakier, slower and my balance is worse. But I've been riding on this train for a long time now and expect that. He said yes for the time you've had it you've done note worthy, you've really done unbelievable. Then asked again if I still wanted to keep on the medicine. Awhile ago He brought up withdrawing my med's as they were not doing the job much anymore and I'm max ed out on them, have been for years) I told Him yeah we'll keep them for a bit longer. Frankly it scares me to withdraw them and know their usefulness has run it's course. but I digress and everyone has their own problems they struggle with sorry about unloading here. Take care, best of luck, hang in there and keep your chin up! (it makes a better target that way)

We're all in the same game; Just different levels.
Dealing with the same Hell; Just different devils

By carman96 On 2013.04.19 09:52
My husband takes 5 Mg valium and 10 Mg. Melatonin at night and this seems to help somewhat with the REM disorder. He still has bad episodes if he has a tiring day.
Sorry but this is part of the disease. Try the Melatonin. It has no aftereffects.

By Imtired2 On 2013.04.19 10:57
Please don't apologize, Lohengr1n. It's not your fault.
Dolly

By carman96 On 2013.04.19 14:59
Yes Al it's okay to unload here. That's what we're here for. We all need to rant sometimes!

By jcoff012 On 2013.04.19 17:11
Al, my sweet friend, PLEASE never apologize to us. WE unload, WE ask questions, and so must YOU...vent, rant, cry...whatever it takes...I have to admit, I have been worried about you lately, wondering how it went at the doctor. I didn't want to pry.

Let it out...we are all worried about the situation in Boston, and it makes us all realize how fragile life is. Know we are here, as you are so many times for us.

PS...we are moving ahead with the plans for the backyard...looks like the pool will be a small one, if any...just for soaking...but, this is only our second meeting, so let's see how it goes...at least he's listening...lol

Hugs to you...vent away! Feel better...Hugs and love, Jane

By stillunsure On 2013.04.22 11:52
Thank you all for the wonderful support. The suggestion about Melatonin seems like a great idea. I've heard that before, but it slipped my mind. Too all of you sufferers ... I'm sooo sorry for all that you're going through. This is a lousy disease, one that I now realize is much more prevalent than I ever realized. There aren't enough doctors trained to treat it, and while I live in NY, even here we continue to have difficulties.

Thanks again for listening and so happy to be part of this forum.

By moonswife On 2013.04.23 04:45
Still..........at my house these only occur once in a while. My journal seems to indicate that when he is the tiredest, or upset he has the "night terrors". Hate when it happens. Hate his reaction when he realizes how it affects me even more.

By lilflower On 2013.05.03 12:05
My husband takes clonazapan and melatonin before bed, it has helped. He used to start at 330 in the morning yelling and swinging now he sleeps peacefully until 7 or so with just occasional loud speaking no more swinging and yelling.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you