For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic "funk"/glaze stage Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By awilson On 2013.04.26 16:46
Hi. First time to read or post concerns- my husband has had PD for 13 years & recently he has been going into what we call the ˝funk" stage where he is in a trance--cannot move nor communicate-- these may last from several minutes to a hour. They may come at any time except I can see the glare starting in his eyes. His meds do not seem to help. I am beginning to think they may contribute to this issue. Any suggestions or help?

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.04.26 18:45
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like he maybe freezing. Does He respond to a gentle touch or your talking to him? It's scary but part of the disease. I'm sure some of the great caregivers here can give you hints how they help break the freezes of their loved ones. Again welcome to the forum.

By carman96 On 2013.04.26 22:21
Welcome! Wish none of us have to be here. But its a great place to come to to learn what others are going through. Makes me feel I am not alone.
My husband was diagnosed in 2004. He is starting to have freezing episodes but usually the worst ones are in the morning or at night. He really freezes up going through doorways. Don't know why that happens but I guess it is pretty common. Honestly I don't really know what to do other than try to encourage him to move. I know it is very frustrating for him. Who really knows what part is the disease and what is the medications?
So I guess I am not much help but to let you know that it is very common. Maybe someone else has some things to try to stop the freezing. Some have tried laser canes but don't know if they really work.

By carman96 On 2013.04.27 01:01
After I posted my husband had a terrible freezing incident on the way to bed from the bathroom. It seemed like it took forever to get him in bed and then he really froze and couldn't lay all the way down. I just try to encourage him step by step.
So I really want to know what everyone else does in this situation.

By parkinit On 2013.04.28 11:53
My husband has done this once where he went into what I believe is the "locked in syndrome" for about 2 hours as he was cognitively aware of his surroundings.

He grunted and I found him in his recliner. I moved my hand in front of his face and he could not track my hand, he could not move his eyes, talk or move. I took him to the ER for this episode, but they basically chalked it up to PD (gave it a generic diagnosis of "altered level of consciousness") and sent us home when he began snapping out of it. He could not take his meds during this time either. I had to wait until he began coming out of it before he could take them.

We were told the ER could not do anything for him if this happened, and that I should just do whatever I could to calm and comfort him (i.e., stay with him and speak to him with much kindness, love, strength and confidence), and to make him has comfortable as possible during this time until he comes out of it. He was very anxious during this time and asked me to "Please if it ever happens again, always make sure my eyes are open." They were this time, but he said it would have been even more scary if his eyes were closed.

We have had small freezing episodes where he can hardly walk, which we struggle to get him into a chair until it is over, but we've only had the one 2 hour freeze.

Here is an interesting article on different types of altered levels of consciousness: http://neurology.about.com/od/NervousSystem/a/Disorders-Of-Consciousness.htm

By Mary556 On 2013.08.23 15:45
My Mom had a similar episode about a year ago. It is not unusual for her to fall asleep in her recliner after supper. When it was time to wake her up to go to bed(?), my Dad and I could not rouse her. It was scary. Mom was breathing fine but she was limp and incapable of moving, completely unresponsive. We thought it could be a stroke and called for an ambulance.

As soon as my mother received IV fluids at the hospital, she started to revive. She was given a Dx of "altered consciousness" and dehydration. The ER doc mentioned "locked-in" syndrome but the only info I found online desribed that as a permanent state. Later my Mom told us that she could hear our conversation with the paramedics and felt them lifting her into the ambulance chair.

This episode happened on the same day that my parents received their flu shots. I made a mental note to give Mom plenty of extra fluids before she goes for her shot this year.

parkinit, your account of your husband's experience and link to more info help me to understand better. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone who shares here. I'm so grateful for you all.

By Mary556 On 2013.11.05 09:57
My mother had another "locked-in" type episode last week... almost a year to the day of her previous one. After she had been frozen for about five minutes, we called Mom's neurologist. We were instructed to call 911 so that an ER doctor would be able to assess my mother in person.

Last year this happened to my mother on the same day as her flu shot and I wondered if there could be a connection. But she has not had her shot yet this year so it does not seem to be a factor. The common denominator for my mother both times has been a DX of Dehydration. This time of year in New England we start to have very cold nights and the air inside the house becomes overly dry from the furnace running so much. We need to add more humidifiers.

My Mom had been sitting in her chair after breakfast when the freeze happened and suddenly she was immobile. She was breathing fine and blinking her eyes involuntarily. But when I asked her to blink her eyes to communicate, she did not respond. (We had read that blinking is the one action that someone in a "locked-in" state is able to do.) Last year Mom was conscious of us talking and the paramedics lifting her, but this time she was not aware of anything... until she started to come around in the ambulance. About 20 minutes into the freeze my Dad asked my mother if she could hear him and if she knew who he was. Mom said "yes" twice, but she has no recollection of that.

God bless all PWPs and care givers and first responders.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you