For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic LSVT-Big and Loud Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2013.05.02 16:49
My husband, PWP, is very motivated by the thought of being able to sail this summer, if his dyskinesia continues to recede. We are meeting a physical therapist tomorrow so that he can be evaluated for the LSVT-Big therapy. It's 4 days a week for 4 weeks, and is said to improve movement, balance, range of motion.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has any experience with LSVT-Big, or with the companion speech therapy called LSVT-Loud.

I'll report on our experience after tomorrow.

VV

By lilflower On 2013.05.03 11:48
My hubby , PWP has done the big therapy , and it helped as long as he continued to do it. But that is the key point, they must continue on their own after the therapy ends. It doesn't always work out that well. At least not with my hubby.

By VioletV On 2013.05.11 21:19
Well. Here's my first check-in on the LSVT-Big program.

We are about one week in. A PT comes twice a week, and OT twice a week, each using the same LSVT protocol, but one focuses on bigger mobility issues and one more on ADLs. Then once a day on treatment days, and twice a day on non-treatment days, we go through the exercise series.

So far, I'd say that I'm a believer. While the LSVT doesn't address the dyskinesia (our biggest burden) it is making walking and moving (including moving in bed) so much easier. Already there are changes in my PWP's facial expression, his voice is louder, he has been able to get up to use the bathroom or urinal by himself, and generally seems to be re-awakening physically. Seeing him walk across the floor with a normal gait, and walking up the hill a block to our corner grocery and back, with no cane, and at a normal pace, is a real victory, and we have only had 3 of the 16 sessions.

Seeing him with the energy and motivation to garden is also a sign. We had planned to let the "no man's land" between this house (where we've been for less than a year) and the neighboring property stay fallow this year, but since we started the LSVT we suddenly have (modest) landscaping plans. My PWP has ideas, now about what should go in this space, and the oomph to follow up. I'm still doing the heavy lifting (2 40 pound bags of topsoil this afternoon!), but he's in it with me, and is doing more every day.

I'll check in again in a week or so.
VV

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.12 18:03
Violet, you made me cry! How exciting and what a wonderful Mother's Day "gift"...mobility! Please tell your husband to keep it up; we have read a great deal about this program, but didn't know anyone who had done it. Good luck!

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.22 17:09
Violet, the topic at our August PD meeting is LOUD...I will let you know how it goes...just got the notice today. No meeting in July, since we meet the first weekend of the month. Jane

By VioletV On 2013.05.30 14:32
We are in the last week of LSVT-Big, and I am a believer. My husband has had PD for 16 years so he is, by no means in the early stages.

The program has certainly been intensive -- the therapists come to the house 4 days a week for an hour or so each time. And then we do the exercises again the same day, and twice a day on non-visit days. the changes that I've seen -- in trunk mobility, posture, reaching, getting up and down from the floor (or the little sail boat!), balance, getting into and out of the car, along with his ability to get into and out of bed by himself, and mobility once in bed -- being able to shift his body, to reach from one side to the other--all have improved. By no means is he free of PD issues -- but I see a real improvement in our quality of life.

I expect that my PWP--who was an athlete in college and was physically very able before PD took those abilities--will continue to do the daily exercises (I'm going to start a daily exercise program of my own, so that it gets integrated into our life) with real discipline. I am SO encouraged -- even though I know that PD doesn't go away, and that there will be challenges.

What the therapists have told us is that LSVT and the skills it gives with daily practice, will also serve us well as the PD progresses - helping to preserve function as long as possible.

And, wonderfully, Medicare paid for the entire treatment. It will preserve my husbands health and well being for a long time to come! Probably less cost than a couple of hospital days.

We will now try the LSVT-Loud program for speech. I'll post about that too!

By karolinakitty On 2013.06.11 17:51
We have a speech pathologist on our board who does LSVT-LOUD and is a great proponent ofitfor not only Parkinson's patients but other movement disorders....

It seems to be the best in speech pathology for PWP....Cyndee does some awesome blogs about parkinson's and speech pathology....you can check her blogs here every Tuesday....
http://www.parkinsonpanda.org/blog.html

OR
check out her own blog series:

http://www.bowenspeechblog.blogspot.com/

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you