For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Results from 23andme.org testing... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.12 18:16
Thought this might be of interest to some of you. We, of course, are very interested in the possible genetic association...

New genetic factors for Parkinsonís disease

Weíve identified two new genetic associations and new evidence that genetics plays an important role in Parkinsonís disease. Hide Details ę

DETAILS

With the help of our Parkinsonís Disease research community ó the largest single, genotyped Parkinsonís cohort in the world ó we have discovered two new genetic factors associated with the disease in people with European ancestry. One of these SNPs, rs11868035, requires further study to establish its effect. The other SNP, rs6812193, is located near a gene called SCARB2 that is already known to be involved in biological processes relevant to Parkinsonís disease; the T version is associated with slightly lower odds of the disease.

Our scientists were also able to confirm 20 other previously identified associations with Parkinsonís. Using additional analyses, they showed that late-onset Parkinsonís disease, long considered a mystery genetically, is influenced substantially by genetic factors. Many more genetic factors are yet to be discovered.

By stillunsure On 2013.05.13 17:21
I have two adult daughters (45 & 51). Should I recommend that they be tested? And if they show a "genetic association" with Parkinson's, is there a medical protocol in place to prevent this?

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.13 17:42
Still, 23andme is sponsored by the wife of the founder of google and supported by the Michael J Fox Foundation...it is free to those with PD...however, there is a charge for the testing if one has not been dx.

Th PD parts of 23ndme process are limited and are not a complete DNA test...I believe complete testing is more than $1000...please correct me if I am wrong.

My husband filled out all of the myriad of surveys and sent in the swab of his cheek...we have the results, but aren't sure what all of them mean (sorry, Al)...

As far as I know, there is no definitive test nor any way to prevent PD. My husband is interested in genetic research because his mother had PD over 22 years and now he has it... 22 years ago, they assured us we had no worries and neither did our now adult children.

I would suppose if anyone were able to find a link, doctors would be closer to finding a cure. Until the basic cause is found, all we can do is search, offer information, and donate to those who need the funding to continue research.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you