For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sleeping 3-4 hours during day Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2013.05.13 17:39
My spouse in the past few days has entered a new stage where he is napping for up to 3-4 hours during the daytime. I saw in a past post that Michele had posted about this (she apparently is no longer a member of this forum). I know this is probably progression as we've pretty much outruled other things - fever, blood pressure, etc. (anything else I should watch for?).

Has anyone else gone through this stage? What is next?

We have a doctor appointment tomorrow. He was on Provigil, but has been off of it for some time (long before the sleeping during the day). PWP wants to increase meds; doctor doesn't want to increase as he is already at 1,350 mg carbi/leva and does Neupro (rotigitone transdermal patch) 2 mg patch per day.

I just don't know if I've exhausted all my resources or there is something more I should talk to doctor about??

Any help is appreciated.

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.13 17:47
Michelle is still around, she's just been moving, selling her home, starting a new job...lol...not doing much! I am sure she will respond.

My husband takes to nps daily, on at least n hour in the afternoon, so mimes much longer...I figure it is because he doesn't sleep well at night...I would tell the doctor, but it is probably not unusual.

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.13 17:49
Translation of auto correct: he takes two naps daily, sometimes longer than an hour each time.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.05.13 19:08
I nap most of the time twice a day have for years. Generally between 1 and 3 in the afternoon and 5:30 ish to 6:30ish evening. Have been doing this for years, but then I only get about 4 hours of sleep a night if I'm lucky. I wouldn't worry about it being a "stage" or what's coming next, it's just Parkinson's, it wears Us out and throws out the stay awake during the day so you get a restful sleep at night. We just go as long as we can, konk out, go again till we konk out again.

By mylove On 2013.05.13 21:37
I'm here, I'm here! Lol. But it was Michele with one "l" - I remember she was here a short time and had a couple posts. Unfortunately I remember this topic but not what was said...

By carman96 On 2013.05.13 22:35
My husband can nap 2 to 6 hours a day depending on how well he's slept the night before or if he had a long day the day before. He has been doing this for years. He can rarely stay up all day.
However if this is unusual or sudden for your pwp I would certainly tell the doctor right away.

By lilflower On 2013.05.15 08:35
Yes PD changes our lives in many ways, so we just try to go with the flow. Sleep when your tired, eat when your hungry and never stop loving one another. Say I love you often caress his cheek or run your fingers through his hair, share a smile and treasure each day even the difficult ones.

By Freespirit On 2013.05.15 08:50
Great advice, Lilflower!
I like it.

By lilflower On 2013.05.15 09:02
Thank you. It's been working for us for a long time. Since he stopped work and I stopped work to care for him we are together 24/7 and I do believe with prayer and love we can together climb any obstacle that is put in front of us.

By parkinit On 2013.05.15 23:59
Well, he had an exceptionally GOOD day today, so goes the ebb and flow of PD, I suppose.

He is in a wheelchair 95% of the time and many times today he was even up and walking! Go figure. But I'm thankful for days like this!!

By parkinit On 2013.05.16 14:54
And now again, much sleep. I'm wondering - especially with you, Al, when you sleep during the day, are you weak?

My husband cannot even stand on his own he is so weak and exhausted. He had two "normal" days for him with the usual ups and downs and again, today, he is sleeping from 10:15 a.m. going on until 2:00 p.m. and still asleep except up for pills and drinks. This is not normal and the doctor didn't do anything except diagnose more pills to take, which I don't think is the right answer at this stage in his disease (13 years diagnosed).

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.05.16 23:38
parkinit, That's a good question! When I sleep during the day am I weak? Maybe, I wouldn't say I'm weak someone else might use that term I don't know. I'd say sometimes if trying to stay awake during the day I'm exhausted in fact so exhausted I've fallen asleep during my meal, talking to My daughter with the grandchildren running around. Just sitting there talking face to face one minute then sleeping the next! lol Guess it shocked Her as she called Her sister and asked if I'd ever fallen asleep while she was visiting and chatting? To which her sister responded well I guess I'm just not as boring as you are. Ah you just have to love sibling rivalry. So exhausted or weak I guess could be interchangeable so tired you can't bring the fork up to your mouth or stand or keep up a conversation pick your term they can mean the same thing. Don't know if I answered your question or it made sense to anyone hope so anyway. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you