For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Congratulate me on Craig's list find Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By McCall On 2013.05.27 09:03
We have an old house we bought in WV to retire to. Cost way less, and so have been trying to work on it during vacations to convert to accessible living on first floor. The biggest thing is to get the now small powder room converted to a full bath/laundry with accessible shower. Doing the work ourselves while hubby and I still can do anything.
Anyway roll in shower stalls cost an arm and a leg, thousands. I looked on Craig's list for shower stalls and guess what I found.

A unused roll in shower unit with the seat, expensive fold down type 48" by 36" stall, for $200. Now that is truely the answer to my prayers. Still have to pick it up and then get it down to WV on our next trip but WOW what a blessing.

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.27 11:15
Congratulations! Having worked in an assisted living, I KNOW those are VERY expensive...good find! Have a happy holiday weekend!

By carman96 On 2013.05.27 11:16
Wow that's a great find!! I have been trying to figure out the best way to convert our small hall bathroom. I know I will have to pay a lot to have someone do it but I guess what I really want is someone to tell me what to do! I get overwhelmed with the decision making process.
Congrats to you for planning ahead and doing the work while you still can!

By Betsey Clarke On 2013.05.27 11:35
Congratulations on finding the shower stall on craigslist...! That is indeed a super deal. I ended up having to pay 10k for total remodel of our small bathroom, but it was so worth it. The contractor I found had done several assisted living facilities and knew alot about ADA requirements. Fortunately there was an old storage room behind the bathroom, so were able to tear out a wall (and remove the old tub) to install a large roll-in shower stall. He also put down waterproofing between the subfloor and vinyl and up the wall a ways, I think that really helped, as there has been no buckling of the floor in 2 plus years. Boy, that is great that you can do stuff like this.. you will save thousands!!

By parkinit On 2013.05.27 23:22
That's so cool that you found exactly what you needed! I admire you for doing the work yourselves, too.

By mylove On 2013.05.28 00:00
Woo! That is a great find!

I'm shocked to hear the 10k price tag on a bath remodel - is that average? We are trying to find a house over here and can't find anything ready made. There's one that might work if we remodeled a bathroom... But I wasn't thinking into five figures. Hmmm...

By mydear On 2013.05.28 00:08 [Edit]
Wow! That is amazing. We did a bath remodel to create full accesble bathroom and with structural changes and all...$10k.

By Betsey Clarke On 2013.05.28 23:45
Yes, I guess 10k is an average for a complete bathroom remodel. I found a website with local contractors' names, and referrals from past jobs. It also came up with an average cost for various remodel jobs in our area. It think it is a national company, can't remember the name. It is probably like Angies List. I had my bathroom remodel done when my PWP was in a VA skilled nursing facility healing up from a staph infection that he obtained from a different nursing home when he was in healing up from his second hip break ..for 6 months.. don't think I could have handled the remodeling project if he were at home.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you