For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Life Insurance Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By theresa On 2013.05.29 15:57
Does anyone know which insurance company I can go with for my husband who has Parkinsons? I'm having a heck of a time finding life insurance that will take Parkinsons patients. Thanks.

By jcoff012 On 2013.05.29 19:09
I may be speaking out of turn, but when I asked our car/home insurance agent If my husband could qualify for life insurance, I got mixed messages...He said, "ANYONE can be insured, it just depends upon how much you are willing to pay for premiums." Then, when I mentioned PD specifically, he said, "Can you apply before the diagnosis goes into the database? If it's already there, you will most likely be turned down." So, we didn't apply. That was Farmers...our only insurance for thirty years.

By dans316 On 2013.05.29 20:34
We are bombarded daily with tv ads from Colonial Penn Life(Alex Trebek) for life insurance. They state you can't be turned down and there are no health exams. Supposively they can do it because they pay very little benefit if the insured dies in the first two years. It's not cheap, I think about $10 per unit per month. They don't say what a unit is, but I'd guess about $1000. I was fortunate in that I could continue my insurance coverage into retirement so my wife and I are covered. I think it's just for people aged 50-85
I should add that it is whole life insurance so it does build up a cash value.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.05.29 23:13
This might fall into an urban legend category as I myself have no experience in it but a friend told me He knew someone who bought one of those insurances seen on TV. The guy died less then two years later when His Widow received a check it was for only the monthly payments they had made over that time with a notice that they were refunding their payments because He had a pre-existing condition which voided the coverage. They had bought it because it said only 3 questions and No One can be turned down. Guess in the fine print it stated if you have a pre-existing condition payments are much more for coverage. Not sure but if so you should check it out before buying as this guy thought His wife was taken care of instead she was devastated finding He was not covered.

With the new health care bill that passed maybe you can find coverage but it probably will be very costly.

By theresa On 2013.05.30 12:29
Thanks everyone. I will keep searching.

By McCall On 2013.05.30 18:03
on Colonial Penn the "Unit" is not 1000 it is much less. Also they state that for the first two years if death occurs you will receive only the amount you paid in, unless it was a purely accidental death.

Personally I am desperately trying to keep in force a policy I took out on my husband about 20 years ago, the cost increases some each year but not I really need the coverage. It also has a clause that pays out half the face amount before death if the insured has less than a year to live.

Not that we are near that point yet, but is another good reason to keep it in force.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you