For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Keep hydrated Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.06.01 15:55
With this wacky weather so far this year, here, we're in our second day of 90 plus degree heat (last Saturday the top of the mountain was closed due to snow and had plows out opening up the roads). We need to keep an eye on hydration. Living with Parkinson's Disease is likened to moderate exercise 24/7 the tremors and (even if one of the 30% diagnosed and don't tremor) stiffness of muscles, poverty of movement or just getting moving eats up energy and at times even assimilating our medication, getting it absorbed into our system can cause sweating. We have to keep hydrated. Sports Drinks with electrolytes are good but I myself recommend if using them to dilute them to half drink and half water, this makes it easier on our system to absorb. Many long distance runners do this because an over heated body can't absorb them correctly but diluted it can. Another quick tip to hydration is hold one hand out in front of you fingers out (not a fist) take the other hand and using thumb and fore finger pinch the skin on the back of the other hand, if hydrated the skin should snap back flat (the quicker it does the more hydrated you are) if it is extremely slow or doesn't go back flat you need to address hydration at once and should seek medical attention for iv fluids.

You Caregivers keep an eye on Your hydration also! I maybe should add? a light pinch? Not saying it's okay to be irritated grab a hand and give'em a good hard pinch and say you're checking hydration lol. That's all I have to say for now so stop pinching the back of your hand and read someone else's posting, they're probably a lot more interesting anyway. Take care, best of luck and hang in there......stay hydrated!

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.01 19:48
Lol...you KNEW I would pinch my Han! It is 96 today, hotter yesterday...only add this...I am a big Diet Coke drinker, but soft drinks DO NOT keep one hydrated...they may quench your thirst, but keep a water bottle handy!

By parkinit On 2013.06.01 22:57
Pinch . . . watch . . . pinch . . . watch. Now what am I looking for? Yeah, read on. Oh, good. It appears I passed the test.

Yep, you had me doing the hand pinch test. LOL

By olpilot On 2013.06.02 01:05
I have bad cramping in legs and feet, which can be a sign of dehydration among other things. Dr did that test and decided cramps not due to dehydration. But if having leg cramps well worth checking, more water a much nicer reliever of pain.

By carman96 On 2013.06.02 08:01
Thanks for the reminder Al. I have a hard time getting my husband to drink more water. I think I will try the half water half sports drink idea.
Super hot here in California yesterday.

By Imtired2 On 2013.06.02 20:38
Carman96,
We are located in Lancaster/Palmdale, CA. Are you near us?
Dolly

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.02 23:27
Dolly, we are in Cloverdale, CA...thirty miles north of Santa Rosa...small world! HOT here yesterday AND today...supposed to be 100 by Friday.

By Imtired2 On 2013.06.03 10:15
jcoff012,
Yes, I know where you are. Santa Rosa is a beautiful area. It will be hot here too, and the air quality is poor because of the brush fire that is raging about 20 miles from us. It's nice to know that someone is close by.
Dolly

By carman96 On 2013.06.03 11:10
Dolly I live in the Sierra foothills above the town of Murphys at 2900 feet. It gets very hot here too.
I thought Palmdale was in SoCal?
Carole

By blue2 On 2013.06.03 12:37
It'll be quite warm this week even at 4700 ft. in the Sierras! It is dry, too. We are near Lassen Volcanic National Park for the summer. We're more accustom to some sea breeze at home in San Juan Capistrano. It's a challenge to get hubby to drink water. Usually resort to juice.. Fortunately he can use the calories.

By Imtired2 On 2013.06.03 14:27
Carole,
Yes, Palmdale is in So Cal. Some people might know as the high desert.
Dolly

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you