For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Disabled caregiver Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lilflower On 2013.06.02 15:30
Well I'm not complaining at least I'll try not to. I broke my foot, have to stay off it for six weeks , will have new exrays in three weeks to see if surgery is necessary. My hubby is the pwp at first he was very panicked , still is but has calmed down a bit. Now I am seeing some of the roles being reversed. He is being very attentive and attempting to help out more (some things are better left alone). Now our house is like an amusement park with him in the power and me in the manual chair trying to avoid crashing into each other. At least will still can laugh and thank goodness I have a Dear friend to run errands.

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.02 19:23
Take care of yourself...hope it is minor and that you will feel better soon.

By lilflower On 2013.06.02 20:03
Thanks, I'm taking things slow and hoping the healing is quick. My hubby is upset I'm just trying to assure him that I'm ok. He is going through an emotional time with his PD.

By carman96 On 2013.06.03 11:06
I'm so sorry! As if you didn't have enough to worry about. You certainly have a good attitude about it.
Here's hoping you heal fast and have a good recovery.

By lilflower On 2013.06.03 11:12
Thanks, It took a few years dealing with PD to learn how not to let it take over. For me I think prayer was the thing that finally calmed me and gave me (us) a more positive attitude. Life is to short so we all must make the best of what we have.

By blue2 On 2013.06.03 12:39
Wishing you fast healing, liliflower. Prayer is what keeps me sane, too.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.06.03 15:15
Yes, I applaud Your attitude too! Hope for a speedy recovery for You. That said, both in wheel chairs leads me to one thought......Bumpercars!! Seriously though get well soon!

By parkinit On 2013.06.03 21:32
Oh, my. Keep up that good attitude! You're truly an inspiration!

By lilflower On 2013.06.05 07:22
We really need some cushions on the walls, when my hubby got his powerchair I think it drove him into the walls, now we're cutting each other off. I lost I'm using the manual wheelchair. But there is always good that's comes out of every bad situation. I'm getting stronger upper body. Thanks everyone for your love and well wishes.

By Trusting On 2013.06.05 23:17
I hope you mend quickly. This is one of the things that I get concerned about; what if I get sick? As we all know, this is a one day at a time kind of thing.
Your husband is probably enjoying being in charge for a little while. Blessings being sent your way.

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.06 19:08
As a bit of encouragement..my FIL took care of my MIL while going through three years of chemo for lung cancer...through some nasty bouts of chemo, too...He told me, "Sweetheart, you do what you must, when you must." I have never forgotten that!

By lilflower On 2013.06.06 20:51
I have to be honest I am still scared, because if I do have to spend time in the hospital I'm not sure how we'll handle the situation. My hubby just says well I'll stay with you. When he was in the hospital I stayed with him. Yes the Dr give permission because of his PD but I would be the patient and I don't know if they would allow him to stay with me. He is not good with any type of change or dealing with strangers so hiring an outsider to stay with him would be very hard on him. Pray Pray and Pray some more it will all work out.

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.06 22:37
Lilflower, how comfortable are you with his doctor? Can you explain the situation to him and see what he thinks? I am concerned forYOUR health and recovery...you are going to need to rest. Do you have church members who would help out? Just tossing out a few things...sorry I am not offering a solution...take care of yourself.

By lilflower On 2013.06.07 07:28
His Dr is great, she has helped in many ways. We started seeing her 3 years ago and she did a lot of reevaluation and med changing and it helped him very much. He is also comfortable speaking with her about issues that occur. What is difficult for us because we moved to a new state a few years back is we don't have the support we had a one time. Most of our family and friends are up north. We don't get out much any more so we really haven't made too many friends, and he is not comfortable meeting new people now. That's why I am so happy to have found this forum. It helps me to be able to share and hear what others go through.

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.07 12:27
Lil, I FULLY understand...we moved here four years ago and I immediately started a five day a week child care for our then three month old grandson. My husband spent a year trying to sell our home, then we bought another home here...the only ones we know are local waitresses and our hair stylist! Not a lot of time for socializing, and away from all of our good friends and most of our family.

I have, however, encouraged short trips to the coast (a day trip), going to monthly PD meetings, and a special meal out once a week...he is uncomfortable, too, with public places where people do not recognize his PD. I have noticed that lately he TELLS people he has PD if he has a bad case of tremors. Makes him more comfortable, I think.

If it were me in your shoes, I would ask my family to help out. Maybe I am a bad mother, maybe not, BUT I feel we gave our now grown children a wonderful life, continue to help them financially, etc., so when the time comes, I will NOT hesitate to TELL them "Dad needs your help." We told them all that this would be coming someday...We watched my SIL devote a great deal of her life to my PD MIL, and so we know it is possible to get the help we will need...and they will do so willingly. Don't be afraid to ask. Accept their help. You might be pleasantly relieved to know that they may not know HOW to help, til you tell them!

As I said, I worry about you resting...please take care of yourself. Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you