For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sleeping Pills? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By parkinit On 2013.06.19 20:13
Do any of the PWPs take sleeping pills? My spouse had our nighttime caregiver up 22 times last night for different requests.

We are thinking maybe it is time for some sleeping pills.

Does any other PWP out there take them and what are your thoughts on taking sleeping meds with all the other drugs they take? I don't like adding more meds to the mix, but the requests last night were crazy, and one right after another with little recall for the request that was just made (roll me left, flat on back, roll me left, flat on back, drink, bathroom - this all within a six minutes timeframe). I think this may be dementia-related as well.

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.19 23:30
My MIL took a sleeping med every night for years, although they were physician prescribed. She was, however, really difficult to awaken in the morning. She also was incontinent, so not getting up at night meant many mornings of wetness...I think the best thing would be to talk to his doctor...anyone?

By olpilot On 2013.06.20 00:48
I've be taking zolpidem,(ambien) for several years now. Sometimes I think it helps, sometimes I'm not so sure. Most nights I go to sleep ok, but a good night's sleep it still very elusive. 5 hours sleep is a good night anymore. Pain, RLS, Rem sleep problems seem to rule the night. Tried reading but eyes don't go from line to line very well, but I sure can fall asleep during the day. Crazy disease

By mylove On 2013.06.20 08:39
Before you try prescription sleeping pills, you might try melatonin. My husband was having trouble getting to and staying asleep, and had been using Benadryl. Our neuro put the kibosh on that. She said it had effects on the brain that could last days.

In fact, Benadryl is the drug by which they judge all new medications' potential for sleepiness, did you know? (Ie: is this new drug better or worse than Benadryl at making people sleepy and messing with their brain for days afterward, etc.). And if you look at most OTC sleep meds, the active ingredient is diphenhydramine - aka Benadryl, aka Nytol, etc. it's a great drug at what it does well, but for PD patients the potential of exacerbating cognitive symptoms is too high, according to the neuro. Just some things to think about.

She put him on melatonin to replace the Benadryl, and it works well for him. Take it about half an hour before bedtime. It definitely makes him sleepy and he seems to sleep through the night without waking in the morning with a 24 hour brain fog hangover. Hes also rouseable if necessary. We also love our sleep music. I use Calm Radio's sleep channel, or our BrainWave programs. Sure helps me sleep too!

By carman96 On 2013.06.20 10:09
My husband takes 5 Mg. Valium and 10 Mg. Melatonin for REM disorder. Seems to work ok. Nothing is perfect with drugs!!

By Imtired2 On 2013.06.20 15:28
Hi Parkinit,
My brother has problems sleeping at night too. His Neuro explained that the carbo/levo could give him nightmares. And because he does not get good REM sleep at night, he sleeps in front of the TV all day. His neuro prescribed Clonazepam .5 MG at bedtime to help him sleep. Even though he takes Clonazepam, he still has nightmares. Last night he was yelling for me at 4:00 a.m.. and when I went into his bedroom to see why, he told me that I was choking him. He usually dreams of aliens chasing him. Other nights he tells me he is dying because he can't breath.
Dolly

By parkinit On 2013.06.20 20:04
For a little history -

We already take melatonin (anywhere from 1 - 5 mg) and it doesn't appear to be effective. He also takes clonazepam (.75 mg) at night and sometimes it works and he goes right to sleep and sometimes it doesn't work at all as well.

This is why we are getting a bit desperate. Incontinence is not an issue as we have been using condom catheters for quite some time now at night.

Thanks for your comments.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you