For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Dr.s VS Patients and caregivers with chronic diseases Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By seawench On 2013.06.26 15:19
This is a must read. I knew they were afraid of me, actually most people are :( and I hae read some very scathing chart notes in regards to me. But I though it was more of a "I'm god and you are not" thing. I wish I had read this before his appt with a new dr. yesterday.

http://more-distractible.org/2010/07/14/a-letter-to-patients-with-chronic-disease/

Seawench

By jcoff012 On 2013.06.26 18:27
Wow! GREAT article...reminds me of *my* doctor, whom I love. I just wish my husband could find a good doctor...soon, perhaps, we will. Thank you for posting this link.

By parkinit On 2013.06.27 21:01
Good message from the doc.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.07.01 16:06
Sorry, I disagree. Dr.Rob, while Your writing shows a case from the Doctors side I really have issue with what you say and the direction it is pointed at. Me! The patient. While it sounds all well and good I'm sure to You and some of your co-health workers to me it doesn't. When You take care of us you have to leave behind the illusion of control? So Doctors in general work under the illusion of control? That's a bit frightening. If I suffer from illusions doubt is cast about my sanity, am I becoming delusional or developing dementia? Is it the drug or disease? Hummm maybe I'm becoming a Doctor, no, but welcome to our world Doc the illusion of control has left Us years ago and we cannot step back into it next person we see.

You also describe feeling very insecure, wanting affirmation of People who get better, hearing praise of those you help. The being the right person in the right place at the right time. But standing in the way here We are, you say you may get frustrated and mad! We deny You the chance to do the miraculous?

We should respect You, I agree in as much as You should respect Us. It has taken decades for patients rights to get where they are. If it scares you or makes you uncomfortable that is what You and your colleagues should address not going to those who are terminal and telling them how to go about soothing you egos to get better treatment while seeing you. You should when giving medication advise of all side-effects and symptoms, then ask what We think about trying it not just say here take this. We're not lab rats, We and our caregivers have to live with these side-effects going crazy wondering what the hell is happening. Where's the harm in letting us know? Where's the respect of asking Us? While this sounds all well and good if You're a doctor and having trouble dealing with the aspects of the job maybe they should find a new one? (don't you advise patients all the time to not do things and on occasion to switch occupations?) I know this response will draw some fire I'm sure but I had to post. I don't want to be told how to stroke a doctors fragile ego! I want doctors who are taught or have learned that sometimes they can't cure everything and don't labor under the illusion they can. We patients know this and understand that at times, to help make it a little better, to ease the pain and burden, to make it as comfortable as we can is sometimes enough. We know You cannot make it all better and so should You. So stop pretending you can. As my Neurologist and I have sat across from each other misty eyed on a few occasions Him saying I wish I could do more for You and Me responding it's enough Doc. it's all we can do and it's enough for now.

Whatever response I've stirred up in those reading this post, my hope is that You develop a relationship with your doctor where you can laugh and cry together, one where you both recognize we're both fail-able human beings doing the best we can and treat each other as such.

Doc Holliday: What did you ever want?
Wyatt Earp: Just to live a normal life.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.

By jcoff012 On 2013.07.01 17:58
OK, Al, you are forcing me to go back to reread this! Hugs! Jane ;)

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you