For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic My dad is taking a bad turn, quickly (replies welcome) Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By HKMP5N On 2013.07.08 08:42
Over the weekend my Dad started having some extreme hallucinations. He said there were people in his kitchen playing cards, then later he said there were 4 policemen in his house. He repeatedly called me on the phone said he was scared to go to bed because people were in his house. Obviously he was home alone.

His speech and conversation are really bad now. Barely gets words out, when he does I normally have to ask him to repeat because I simply cannot make out what he is saying. I called him this morning as I do each day to check on him and I could hardly get a conversation out of him. He was completely out of it, disoriented, barely even knows what day it is now.

By jaxrock On 2013.07.08 08:58
My first thought is.......medication.

Does his doctor know about this? I would suggest looking at this meds....

My husband experienced this when he took an Ambien..........and another time when he took a Xanax.

It's very scary.

Good Luck

By Pearly4 On 2013.07.08 10:03
Or urinary tract infection or other infection -- either way, doctor! E.R. visit as last resort, but definitely doctor visit needed!

By HKMP5N On 2013.07.08 13:50
He already has an appointment tomorrow with his primary care DR. I have called his neurologist and waiting on a call back from the DR.

He has gotten really bad about taking his pills even though I organize them each week in a pill tray. I remind him often that he needs to take them, lately he has missed a couple doses each day. Those doses contain his sinemet and ropinirole.

By HKMP5N On 2013.07.08 14:22
Also, I feel like assisted living or nursing home is probably a next step here. Are there home care assistance I am not aware of? I hate my Dad having to be in another place than his home but I am not in a position where I can react to his 2:30 AM calls all the time.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.07.08 15:38
Check with your counsel on aging, many states have stay at home help for people. Check the social worker at a local hospital or visiting nurses branch they may be able to point you in the right direction for in home help even if you don't meet their standards they could know where to check for help from different places.

By parkinit On 2013.07.19 17:59
My first question is WHO is administering his meds? This is a tough one for the PWP to give up, but because of confusion, etc., my spouse often took meds at the wrong time, forgot to take them, took too much, etc. I would make sure someone is taking care of administering his meds to him.

With this said, I agree that the neurologist should be involved in changing up meds. It may be difficult to determine what happened, but perhaps things can be put in place to prevent it from recurring.

© · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by
by people like you