For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic a bit of sweet amoung the sour Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.07.13 00:51
Time to bore everyone with a note about Tessa. Many know of Tess, she is my service (balance dog) a Great Dane. The other week in one of our hot spells I took her to a park near by to frolic in a cold spring fed creek running along the edge of the park. Walking across the field to the creek she stopped and was staring intently at something...I looked and there were two small children running flying kites several feet above their heads. Tess looked at me then the children then me, then the mother with the children then me! Then She started over toward them, almost trotting in place trying to get there. (I should mention sometimes Tess likes to watch the turkey vultures gliding on the winds overhead) I said Tess! She looked I said it's okay Tess that's not a big bird trying to get them! She then stopped and we went to the creek. Going back to the van I stopped to let Her smell the kites and see they were not alive! Then I told the children about Tess wanting to rescue them from the big birds she thought were after them. They rewarded her with hugs and a big aww thank you Tess! It's not much but I figured it was at least a little to brighten the day to share with all. Kid's and Dog's can brighten the darkest spots even if for only awhile. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

We're all in the same game; Just different levels.
Dealing with the same Hell; Just different devils

By Imtired2 On 2013.07.13 15:10
Nice story, Loh. Tess is a good dog.
Dolly

By lilflower On 2013.07.13 17:42
Wonderful story, sure did just bring a smile to my face. We have had two Dane's in the past and they were great We have talked about getting another but it would be difficult at this time.

By parkinit On 2013.07.19 18:22
Thanks for sharing, Al.

Keep the Tess stories coming. It did my heart good!

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.08.07 00:02
Okay parkinit you asked for it! Shortly after I brought Tess to live with Me we went to goodwill and bought a couple of stuffed animals for her to "play" with. I let her pick them (they're 50 cents each verses 5 to 10 Dollars at the pet store). She grabbed a small black Gorilla holding a yellow banana. After we got home she grabbed it's foot in her mouth and it started to vibrate and sing ooot- ooot -ooot I'm ape for you baby! Tess pounced on it and thought that was the best thing in the world! I kid you not every time I squeezed the foot and it started to sing she came running. She played and beat the stuffing out of it!

Flashing forward to now about a year and a half later. (about a month ago)

TV playing supper done time to take Tess out for a walk. (Tess watches TV) "Come on Tess time for a walk" a minute later, "Tess time to go on our walk" She slides off the couch staring at the TV and stops...."Tess" She glances back over her shoulder looks at me then back at TV. "Tessa" now I've used her full name and she knows no more fooling around. As we go out she's still glancing at the TV. "Oh that movie will still be on when We get back" I say as we go. We go out I drag Her down to the Bike path and our walk. We turn around and head back and She's stepping lively to get home. In the door, leash off and She's back on the couch! I come in and get online, after awhile She comes in and lays down beside me. "Movie done Tess?" I ask glancing at the clock..8 o'clock yup it is. She watched till it ended then came in when the next one started. I really had to chuckle to myself as She really wanted to and did watch that movie with interest. What was the Movie? King Kong! It fascinated Her! The next day we went to good will and found her another Gorilla, black, same size but doesn't sing. She hasn't beat the stuffing out of it yet she's more gentle and snuggling with it. Animals, You gotta love'm

By olpilot On 2013.08.07 00:42
What would we do with out these wonderful creatures. Such great companionship and they give back so much more than we can possible give them. I had a dog trainer tell me it was just becauss we fed them that they give love, he has never had a true companion.Enjoy and cherish.

By carman96 On 2013.08.07 08:37
Al, you are so lucky to have such a wonderful companion. Dogs are so loyal and love us unconditionally. I've only known one dog who watches Tv. It's my nephews dog Henry. We've watched him while they were on vacation. He watches Tv and everytime an animal came on he would get all excited and bark like crazy at the Tv. There are a lot of catfood commercials! My husband couldn't even watch westerns because of the horses! At least Tess sits quietly when she watches Tv.
Our dogs bark at the buzzards and the crows flying overhead. They don't like it when they fly too low! Don't know if they are trying to protect us or just don't like big birds. Dogs -- you've got to love them!

By parkinit On 2013.08.07 11:41
Al -
You made me laugh this morning with your Tess/gorilla story! I love it.

Carman - My dogs do the same thing. We have lots of buzzards flying low looking for dead animals (We live near a cliff). The dogs all go out barking and looking at the sky. It's fun to watch them be so agitated and frustrated that they can't catch them!

Going to share your story with my hubby right now!!

By Trusting On 2013.08.07 21:28
I loved hearing about Tess too. I'm glad you were able to get her a new gorilla. These stories made me smile.

By Mary556 On 2013.08.09 07:41
Bless your heart, Lohengrin. Thank you for making us smile.
How sweet is Tessa! Hoping there will be more stories.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you