For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic MEMORY GAMES OR MEMORY TESTS. Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2013.07.22 18:47
Does anyone know where I could find some memory games or exercises for memory that I could use for my husband. He will be assessed for driving and I thought if he could do some exercises, it might help before he is tested by the neurologist. I was also hoping the games would be free online if possible.
Thanks.

By makrivah On 2013.07.22 19:09
Try http://www.lumosity.com/

Initially it is free. After a trial, a nominal fee is charged. I find the exercises excellent. Since my PWP doesn't do well with a computer, they are beyond him.

My friends have been using it. They think it is great!

By chroop67 On 2013.07.23 18:56
OK question....Is your husband having issues with memory and if so are they significant enough to interfere with his ability to drive? I am just wondering why you feel the need to improve his memory prior to a driving assessment. Please if you are having concerns regarding his ability to drive, you need to consider his safety and the safety of others.

By carman96 On 2013.07.24 21:24
My husband lost his license last year after flunking the written test three times. I was glad it was finally over so I didn't have to be the bad guy and tell him he couldn't drive.
It doesn't hurt to use luminosity but if he is heading towards dementia like my husband I don't think all the memory games in the world would help.
Good luck however it turns out.

By karolinakitty On 2013.08.08 12:01
If the computer is beyond your loved one...and this may seem silly... but Dr. Rabins from John Hopkins recommends any shildrens memory games....if you go to the childrens games section of walmart or wherever check out games that are used for memory...picture card games....addition, subtraction, multiplication and division flash cards...trust me they work....

I did a whole series on Dementia from Dr. Rabins some year or so ago...you can go to search...enter my name and or dementia and it will come up....

By Mary556 On 2013.08.09 07:39
Years ago a neurological injury left me with some challenges as far as short term memory and attention span. A support group friend advised me to play "Concentration". Your question and answers reminded me of that.

So I got my dear PWP to try this game yesterday. Mom said she enjoyed it and will play again today. We used a regular deck of playing cards, numbers 2 through 10, hearts and spades only. Shuffle and arrange the 18 cards in three rows of six across, face down. Turn over any two cards and try to remember their location in order to make a future match. Place the overturned cards face down again and choose two more. When two matching cards are finally uncovered, remove them to one side. Eventually my mother was able to find all her pairs. She needed a few prompts while learning something new, but after a little practice should be fine on her own.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you