For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Intermittent Speech difficulties Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By stillunsure On 2013.08.12 15:43
Hello again. Been awhile since I posted, but always keep abreast of the various topics. Husband dx about 1 yr ago with PD, most obvious presentation is tremor of right hand and low bp causing fainting. Bp has been regulated by eliminating 1 med, and dizziness seems to be under control. However, he now exhibits confusion with words when he gets a slight headache behind one eye. This past week, he had 3 separate incidents lasting more than 15-20 min. He tries to say a word and something completely different comes out. I notice it's more severe when he's stressing and/or anxious about something or when he gets tired.

Is anyone out there familiar with this new "symptom"?

By olpilot On 2013.08.13 01:53
For the last couple of years I have had the same problem. I either can't find the word I am trying to say or sometimes I say something completely unrelated to the word I'm looking for. My wife is getting very frustrated with me and that makes it worse. Now beside getting a very soft voice I don't always make sense. Fortunately for me my smartphone puts words in my mouth when typing things on it. It still takes forever, and even proof reading I miss a lot. I know what I want to say, but it doesn't always come out of my mouth or through my fingers.

By stillunsure On 2013.08.13 10:17
Thanks olpilot. I know what you mean, however, this is not the same issue. He almost sounds like he's having a stroke, but was already tested for that. I've read up about aphasic migraines. I'm going to mention this to the neuro. He only gets this when I a headache appears.

By HKMP5N On 2013.08.14 08:33
stillunsure: My Dad does this here and there. I also feared strokes because when he does it I can't understand a single thing he says. He was in the ER twice last weekend, both times the doctors swear they see no signs of stroke. Not doubting the doctors but it sure is hard to deal with.

By Reflection On 2013.08.14 12:05
My husband had this. He was sometimes unaware that his speech was weird, sometimes aware. I believe a lot of the variation in speech correlated with variations in the level of medication in his body. I'm not sure whether that's the case for you. I get migraines, and I can have major problems with speech during some phases of them, so that might also be a piece of the puzzle.

By Mary556 On 2013.08.14 15:10
stillunsure, I've suffered with migraines since childhood, only in the last two or three years have been experiencing a strange speech phenomenon during the attack: talking gibberish that sounds like sentences in a foreign language. It is spontaneous and seems to happen when pain and vomiting are most intense. The "words" are said quickly in a sequence but they mean nothing to me. For lack of better understanding, I thought this might be some sort of release mechanism as an alternative to wailing. When it happens I am alone in my room, not speaking or interacting with anyone. I think it would be upsetting to my family members if they ever overheard me, but it is not at all upsetting to me. I have a feeling this is not the same as "aphasic migraine". (I do not have PD myself.)
Best wishes for your husband.

By stillunsure On 2013.08.15 09:22
Thanks all for your input. Going to neuro today with my husband and will mention it (again). It's such a wierd disease!! There are times he exhibits very little symptoms (ergo my header). He's been headache free all week, but will know more today... I hope.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you