For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Im Hot, I'm Cold Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By ysracer On 2013.08.12 19:29
This is the first time I have posted on this site. But I have been reading several of the other posts here.
My wife has PD is 59, I'm 58. She is always complaining that she is hot or cold and wants to run the air conditioning or heater. Even when it's a nice temperature.
In the summer when it's a nice 75 to 78 degrees in the house she wants to run the Air conditioning set to 70 or below.
Then in the Winter when it's 68 to 70 degrees she want to run the heater set to 80 degrees or higher.

It seems unreasonable to me, but she states it because she cannot regulate her body temperature.
Does anybody else see this with a PD patient? I think it might just be she wants to be controlling.

I don't know. I have lots of other issues I would like to share. But would at least like to start with something simple.

By seawench On 2013.08.12 20:18
My PWP has no control over his thermostat and we are constantly putting on and taking off blankets, heaters and A/C. I try to make him comfortable and keep it reasonable for me. Like my Dad used to say I"f you're cold put on a sweater." the reason I work to make him comfortable is his muscles will start to spasm and it's not about control at that point.

Seawench

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.08.12 20:27
ysracer, Welcome to the forum. I'm a Parkinson's Patient, it is true we have trouble regulating our body temp. Our automatic thermostat is faulty due to PD. While 75 to 78 degrees might seem nice would any one want to do exercises in 78 degrees all the time? Having P.D. is likened to doing moderate exercise all day long, either the tremor or trying to overcome the stiffness to move, constant movement you name it. it takes effort to live and at times even breathe. (if our chest muscles are stiff it's like trying to breathe in a bear hug! and sweat!?! We sweat, I hope those reading this take into consideration the loss of salt through sweat and put or at least don't stop their PWP from salting foods! We need that salt to help balance our electrolytes. And in the winter we chill easier now with P.D. ......ever try shivering with tremors? It ain't a nice feeling we feel like we're really shaking apart. At 75 to 78 in the house I'm running the A/C you can bet. and 68 to 70 is pretty cool for me also, I set it at 72. I would say She is not being controlling. You've found a great place here for information and ask away we'll all try to help. This is a crazy journey we're on and we all learn as we go, take care, best of luck and hang in there

By Jane On 2013.08.13 11:28
Welcome to the group. I don't think anyone can absolutely say whether or not your wife is being controlling. Parkinson's is a disease of the brain, and the brain is an exxtremely complex organ. When dealing with my PWP sometimes I think it is just the disease acting up, sometimes I think he is being controlling, and sometimes I think he is acting out unresolved issues from his childhood. I don't think anyone knows exactly what is causing the annoying behavior. Good luck and hang in there.

By carman96 On 2013.08.13 13:30
My PD husband seems to have trouble with this also. Sometimes he is cold when it is 80 degrees. But he sweats all the time whether he is hot or cold. But you need to be at a comfortable temp also. So try to see if she will compromise by putting on or taking off clothing, and make sure she is well hydrated at all times.

By ysracer On 2013.08.13 16:58
Thank you all for your replies, and LOHENGR1N thank you for the explanation. It helps to hear it from someone that can explain why. My wife just says it's the disease. For me it helps to know the why.

Jane, Seawench and Carmen, thanks for sharing your experience with this issue from the care giver prospective.

By parkinit On 2013.08.15 08:48
I'm coming in a bit late, but this is an interesting topic as we too face the dramatic temp swings and it makes me wonder, too, because the requests seem a bit unreasonable. For instance, it may be 95% outside, so we have the A/C on. My spouse will ask me to turn on the heater!! I tell him if he is cold, we will just turn off the A/C and it will warm up in no time at all!! He seemed determined for some time to want to immediately switch from heat to cold or vice versa and I just didn't get his illogical reasoning in this.

That said, I'm sure he struggles with regulating his body temp, however, I try to strike a logical approach to remedying this as well by encouraging him to dress warmer when he is cold. I'm having hot flashes while my spouse says turn the A/C up, so we are having difficulties striking that balance!!

By seawench On 2013.08.15 09:53
Menopausal women and PWP's are always a good mix LOL! When he says he's cold and sweating and I'm drenched with a hot flash is when I turn off the A/C and go dunk my head in a bowl of ice water

By ysracer On 2013.08.15 11:37
Well at least I can see I'm not the only one that see's this as irrational at times. I guess my problem is I am a fixer, and this is not something that can be fixed. At least not by being logical.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you