For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic extreme fatigue Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By countingmom On 2013.08.23 19:17
My husband being dx with PD for a month now. One of his complaints is extreme fatigue, Is this part of PD, and will the meds help, so far he is not taking any. He has had this problem for awhile before being dxd, Dr. has ran multiple tests and fines nothing that would cause it and told us to make sure we told the neurologist about it when we went to him, didn't get an answer there. So, what do you think/know?

Thanks

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.08.23 20:02
counting, I'd say yes the fatigue is from the Parkinson's Disease, It's not only the tremor but we are stiff or rigid (not unmovable but harder to move for us) many of us describe it like walking in mud it's like feeling resistance against us holding us back almost. Hard to describe. And Yes I'd say med's will help for awhile to make movement easier. How long will they help and to what degree who knows for sure.

And yes it makes sense He's felt that way before diagnosis. Also it probably wouldn't get an answer from the Neurologist, they expect it. A lot of times I get caught up in answering things and forget about those first few Neuro visits and early years of facing the disease so when questions like this come up it's good to be reminded and revisit those times (scary for those just facing them but to me the good old days in a warped way). When a Neurologist makes the diagnosis it is based on patients past history and answers to questions along with basic tests and observations. How they walk stand turn around touch their nose is it jerky or fluid motion, reflexes, the Neurologist will take an arm and rotate your hand feeling to see if the movement is fluid or cog wheeling (smooth or like a ratchet wrench click click click without the noise a jerky movement).

Before We get to the Neurologist's office seeking a what the heck is wrong with Me answer many things have been going on. We know something is off but we can't pin it down. Before the above symptoms show up for diagnosis Parkinson's Disease has been busy behind the scenes the part of our brain that produces dopamine the substancia nigra (black substance) has been dying and not producing that Neuro-transmitter. In fact before these symptoms show up 60 to 80 percent of those cells that produce it have died so they figure you've had it about 10 years or so before it shows up for diagnosis. Which is why Doctorsdon't take much notice of but I've had this feeling for awhile.....They know and expect that. What they don't do is explane it to us. Well I'm getting long winded here so I'll stop for a bit, hope this helped some. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By jcoff012 On 2013.08.23 23:13
Counting, my husband is always tired. He goes to bed around 10 PM; we get up at 5 AM, then at 10 AM he takes an hour nap; at 2, he takes a two hour nap, and is known to fall asleep at 8 PM for an hour...go figure. I just roll with it.

As with others here, we certainly had plans in retirement that did not include napping all day, but the reality is that he NEEDS the rest...his tremors are on both sides now and on the left side of his face...

Al gave me a good mental image for this tiredness...imagine that you were doing constant exercises and had little, if any rest unless you were sleeping. He's right...my husband's tremors cease when he is asleep...Perhaps it is God's gift for PWP...a time of relaxation...because all too soon, he's awake and shaking and looking tired of it all.

Hang in there. Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.08.23 23:37
lmbo, Jane, you've touched on something here. Without going into the medical terminology for it. When We people go to sleep there is a part of the brain, at the stem on the base of the brain that acts like a switch and it shuts off the power to the rest of the body controlling voluntary movements. This prevents us from acting out our dreams. This also shuts down tremor and is why we don't tremor when asleep. Sometimes it doesn't shut off the power and you have sleep walking and people acting out dreams. Just thought I'd toss that in here. Some caregivers might find this fact a dandy little tidbit to know......You can now tell if your PWP is pretending to sleep trying to ignore you or if in fact snoozing. Eyes closed snoring with tremor going they're pretending ....eyes closed softly breathing or snoring and no visible tremor they're sleeping. But don't tell your PWP this let them think they're still fooling you.

By countingmom On 2013.08.24 08:09
Thanks for your help. He does rest a lot during the day am I am ok with that, I feel that is his escape for a little of not having to deal with PD. In the afternoon we walk down to feed the cows, (we have 2) it gives him completely out. He is able to exercise daily without the same type tiredness I just found that odd. But the things that go with PD is absolutely stranger than anything anyone could ever imagine, from reading this forum I have learned a lot.

Thanks to all.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you