For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Parkinson's and woodworking Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By olpilot On 2013.08.26 03:02
I have to ask how many guys, for the most part with Parkinson's become woodworkers? I have seen here and on other sites about pwp's spending time in their wood shop's. Until a year ago.I hadn't.done anything with woodworking since jr high school, nearly 50 years ago. It is almost an addiction, I feel in control of a life that I am losing control of, but on weekends we go to craft fairs, farmers markets and sell what I make. It adds to our income which helps me feel like I.work too, but I have people order things from me for birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas. It makes me feel normal. We just had our best weekend ever at about $500.00 at two farmer's markets!! Working in the shop is dangerous, but I have done everything I can to make it safe, but seeing so many do woodworking, do any try.to go sell stuff? I started with cutting boards and bread boxes, I'm up to cabinets, chessboard's, handcarved chessmen. The reassurance that I can still contribute to our income, and life means so much. I still have my pd moments, it is much better for my wife to talk to folks usually, but to take , orders, to explain I have to do it. I was scared to death to set up that first few booths, but now even selling a cutting board or two is a feeling of being me. I am not a pwp who does woodworking, I have become a woodworker who happens to have Parkinson's. That only comes up.in long conversations with people whom I have never met, and may never buy anything but just want to.chat. it has forced me back into.the world.

By jcoff012 On 2013.08.26 10:28
It may have something to do with feeling in control, you know? My husband is very easily a master carpenter/cabinet maker...and still is...His grandfather was outstanding, as was his dad. That is his love; he worked his way up to becoming a VP at a university prior to retirement, but started out as a carpenter!

I also think that his working with wood helps him because he can be alone with his thoughts, or perhaps getting so precise KEEPS him from thinking? Or, is it the way he caresses the wood or the expression on his face of a job well done that is part of it all?

Carl doesn't sell things, but he makes all kinds of things for our home and for our grown children...Just since we have lived here he has made four large wall hangings, framed and matted three other pictures, made our grandson a craved jungle picture of a giraffe and his name that says "Nigel's Room", made three valances for our daughter's home, a set of cabinets for their garage, a dollhouse for our granddaughter...and I am sure there are more things!

Does he have to lie down all the time, sure. Does it take him twice as long, or more, than it used to, sure. But, does he love it...YES! I do think he knows it is still quality work and will be something to leave behind, to be cherished and appreciated. I am sure your clients feel the same.

He hasn't sold anything, but never did...we are lucky to have an outstanding retirement package, plus social security, so we don't need the money...but, he needs the validation...he needs to know he has control over this part of his life.

But, funny you should bring this up...was thinking of this yesterday, too...as we went through Home Depot again...for the third time this week...and are going this morning to pick up some tool his needs to replace...lolol...don't ask me what it is, but HE knows! Jane

By moonswife On 2013.08.26 19:44
olpilot, Sometimes when his limbs aren't working, his brain is working overtime and he has a friend or our son put his creativity into projects. It is never as good as his work was, but thanks to his DBS we have not had anymore serious accidents. Fatigue, he works around it. While he was getting total knee replacement a buddy revamped out 1000 sq ft workshop garage to make it as handicappable as possible. God bless good friends.

By olpilot On 2013.08.26 23:25
I too take many naps, but even though I hurt like hell at the end of the day I love it. There are times my brain just goes blank and I just can't make sense of anything. That's when I take the pups upstairs to nap. I think it's the highlight of their day....lol.
It just struck me the other day so many have a wood shop or mention woodworking. I call it therapy, and it really is.

By Poostie On 2013.08.27 10:43
I'm one who mentioned that my husband does woodworking. He was a school principal by profession but woodworking has always been his hobby He is 83 years old now but in his younger years he built the house we lived in. Recently he has built furniture pieces for our children and grandchildren. He just got through building toy cars which he donated to charity. He is out in his workshop almost every day either working or cleaning it up after his last building session. He made presents for each grandchild (20) both last Christmas and the year before--dry erase boards one year and clocks the next.
It's been a blessing to give him something useful to do.

Yes, he takes lots of naps and sometimes doesn't even get started until afternoon. If he's really excited about something he'll be out there in the evening. He feels better at night than he does in the day.

I admire you PWP who hang in there and just keep on keeping on and doing the best that you can.

By mylove On 2013.08.27 23:28
Ben does it too! It's a new hobby since the PD. He says its equal parts physical control and mental agility. Not only does he have to time it out to where he can physically perform, but he may spend days doing the calculations required to meld 22 separate pieces of wood into one block to turn on the lathe which will become a beautiful urn! We also had a furniture refinishing business before we moved and lost our shop space. One thing we will be looking for in the new house is a shop. I think it's important so that he can remain sharp. There's something about creating something with your hands, especially when it's organic like wood. There's a peace in the process of creation.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you