For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Trip to E.R. - tough couple days Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2013.08.28 00:27
I had to take hubby to the e.r. yesterday afternoon because he was running a fever and really out of it. He could barely walk by the time we got there. They did some tests and gave him iv fluids and antibiotics. None of the tests showed anything (they suspected a UTI) adult febrile unknown it said. After about 4 hours they let him go home. He had had a lot of urine accidents the day before and was really slow and confused. I thought it was because we we rearranging furniture that he got confused. We also got a kitten the day before that at his insistence. So it was very chaotic. I put his double bed in the master bedroom and got myself a twin. That way I can watch him at night without having to sleep in the same bed. So he slept well and had no fever today but he had diarrhea. He peed in all the bedding in two different beds and missed the toilet every time. He had two episodes of diarrhea which I had to clean up. He doesn't keep his diaper on which is one reason it is a mess. He finally fell asleep only to wake up a short time later to go in the bathroom and pee all over the place. Again.
He's asleep now and I hope it stays that way.
I was thinking while I was doing all that waiting in the hospital that this would be the first but not the last time I will be taking him to emergency. Now I know what to look for and bought a new thermometer to be sure. Fun couple days. Hoping tomorrow is better.
SO SICK OF LAUNDRY!!

By carman96 On 2013.08.28 00:35
Of course. I feel really bad that he's sick. I just wish he wasn't so confused so he could follow instructions and make it a little easier on me!

By carman96 On 2013.08.28 08:33
Very bad night. About 7 pullups, one poopy, 5 t shirts, two sheets, a blanket, a towel, a soaked bare mattress, wet mattress pad and a kitten that went nuts everytime we opened the bathroom door, my husband is finally asleep! All I have to show for it is a splitting headache and a huge pile of laundry. Good morning!!

By jcoff012 On 2013.08.28 09:16
Oh, My Friend, I am so sorry you, and of course, he, are having such troubles. I hope you get some rest today. So much laundry for just two days. Bless you for expressing your love for him and I sincerely hope you are able to relax this afternoon and evening.

By Marilyn-NJ On 2013.08.28 09:41
Good morning - right? I'm brand new to this web site even though we've been living with PD for over 8 years now. Your described issues are just the toughest and the hardest to get through and stay strong. I am so sorry, as well!

By dans316 On 2013.08.28 10:51
Carman,

My sympathies. My wife also has been having problems, just not quite as bad.
She tries to make it into the bathroom, but doesn't always make it. This morning it was poop and I grabbed a washcloth and tried to catch it but it wound up in my hand, eww. So I have a little extra laundry today, but nowhere near what you have. I usually only have wet rubber sheets to deal with daily. I just can't help but think my dear mother is laughing her head off up in heaven since I had a lot of wet beds as a child. As a male caregiver for his spouse, I try to keep in mind that she did the laundry for 42 years so the eight years I've been doing it, pales in comparison.
My apologies for trying to make light of a bad situation, but sometimes I just have to laugh between the tears.

just wanted say that to add insult to injury, the portable toilet I ordered for her to use so she wouldn't have to walk into the bathroom just arrived yesterday went unused.

Dan

By Mary556 On 2013.08.28 11:35
Carman, your loving heart inspires me. You endured the night with such a kind outlook. I hope your husband will feel better soon, that your headache will leave quickly and that both of you will get some good rest today.
Prayers for all dear caregivers and PwP's.

By carman96 On 2013.08.28 12:28
Oops, meant to respond to this post but posted to Jane's post about family! Sorry for any confusion. Like I said, it was a bad night!!

By parkinit On 2013.08.28 16:35
Carman -

My heart goes out to you. External catherters have saved our lives as far as wet sheets go. It has greatly reduced them. I don't know how you are carrying on. I think I would have collapsed by now.

By seawench On 2013.08.29 13:07
We too are making bi monthly trips to the Urgent Care /ER. UTI's, MRSA, Pulling the PEG tube out and on it goes. In July he spent 2.5 weeks at the hospital - I think they kept him to give me a break - it's a small hospital and I think we now know everyone there. When we go to the UC/ER we don't even have to do the history thing - they already know it. And they have been doing their homework on PD and MSA because they know they will be seeing a lot more of us. We got a ramp last month so now I can get him out of the house soooo much easier.

As for the pee and poo and laundry OMG! Mounds and mounds of laundry. we do have an external cath with a small bladder that is keeping the pee under control and I don't mind the poo as we have disposable pads that just wad up and throw away. The only time I mind it is when even just a small fleck gets on my hands (or me) and then I loose it. My reaction is such that it gets him laughing and then of course I have to get dramatic cause -- He's laughing! Such a beautiful sound! and one of the few times his face has such animated expression. But all in all the worst part is the exhaustion. It all adds up and wears us out.

Seawench

By phoenix On 2013.08.29 21:05
Carman, know how you feel. I thought laundry was overwhelming when we had two children under 16 months...nothing compared to this, seems like my whole house smells like pee.

By Betsey Clarke On 2013.08.29 22:50
OK you all. Time to get disposable gloves. I can't tell you how much easier it was to handle poo if you just have them right by the bedside. I also had a dog with a spinal injury (incontinent) the same time as I was learning to do diapers with my husband. So I got an inexpensive carpet shampooer at Walmart, it does bare floors too. Be sure to be pro active about catheters. We did self cath for a year before we just gave up and he received a suprapubic catheter (VA paid), it made our lives alot better. Also, it sounds awful, but the electric lift made changing diapers alot easier, I just undo the diaper sides (I used the side tab kind the most), lifted him up with the sling and lift, cleaned him while he was up in the air, put him down on the new diaper. So easy. ( I learned that from one of our caregivers). Also, get lots and lots of "underpads" or chucks, they are relatively cheap (and waterproof) and you can put several down and keep taking away the dirty ones when your loved one has accidents. Hope that helps :)

By lilflower On 2013.09.01 23:26
My heart goes out to all the caregivers. PD is an exhausting disease for all those closely involved. And it is constantly changing. My hubby is starting to show signs of dementia and is having panic attacks if I leave the room. I've been dealing with a double fracture of my foot and just got rid of my air cast after almost three months. Thought I would do the happy dance instead I could hardly walk without pain. Not in my foot but my ankles and hips. From walking lopsided for so long my entire body is out of alignment. Day 3 a little less painful still working on stretching and walking. As long as I walk up and down the hall hubby is ok

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you