For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic getting respite care Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2013.09.05 00:52
I finally applied for some respite care from the area agency on aging. We have been fortunate to have a friend staying with us that helps out a lot, but he is leaving in two weeks. I just don't know how my husband will react to a stranger coming in to babysit him. I just can't leave him alone anymore because of the falling.
At least I got the ball rolling and hopefully the VA will kick in some time too, so I am applying for that as well.
I also got appointments for him for speech and physical therapy. I couldn't stand the pt he was going to.
I can't believe I actually got to talk to real people on the phone today! I was getting real sick of leaving voice mail and never getting called back!

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.09.05 08:23
That's great I hope everything gets worked out quickly so you can start to take care of yourself now too!

By ysracer On 2013.09.05 19:05
Can you tell me more about this agency? I need something like that for my wife. Although she is still home alone, other than friends or the housekeeper coming by. She is getting to where she is requiring more care. I cannot stop working to care for her. And so far any home care has been to costly.
Is this a free service? or low cost?

Thanks

By carman96 On 2013.09.06 17:09
ysracer, I live in northern California and the agency is called Area 12 Agency on aging. I was told it is a federal program so probably if you Google agency on aging you might come up with something local. If not, call your local senior center. Actually for this program I think the person has to be over 60. Sorry I can't remember how old you said your wife is. It's only 8 hours a month after that you have to pay.
This is so difficult and I don't know what I would do if I had to work.
Good luck to you, I wish none of us had to worry about our loved ones 24/7.

By ysracer On 2013.09.06 18:58
thanks Carmen,
I live in Southern California. I'll look and see what's available down here.
my wife just turned 60 so we may qualify.
thanks again, I too wish this was something we didn't have to deal with.
Nigel

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you