For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic physical and speech therapy Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2013.09.17 16:21
My husband has an appointment with a new p.t. followed by speech therapy. His last p.t. was terrible. The doctor thought he might benefit from some cognitive therapy by the speech therapist.
Has anyone else tried the speech therapy for dementia? I figure it can't hurt to try.

By Jane On 2013.09.18 11:08
We had a great experience with physical therapy because the physical therapist understood Parkinson's. The speech therapy was not successful because the speech therapist did not understand Parkinson's and because I work full time I was not able to join him at the sessions. The speech therapist would give my PWP exercises to practice during the week and would give him reading handouts. That just didn't work with his level of dementia and his inability to follow through on completing tasks. I recommend finding someone who specializes in working with Parkinson's patients.

By carman96 On 2013.09.19 18:06
Jane, thanks for the reply. We did go to the p.t. and s.p. yesterday and I was pretty impressed with them both. They seem to have experience with Parkinson's, even though they both are kinda young women. I think it will be a good thing. The speech therapist said she also does therapy for swallowing, so even though my husband doesn't seem to have a problem with that yet, it's good to know about it.
The hard part will be getting him to do his exercises at home. Luckily I don't have to work and am able to participate in the sessions.

By parkinit On 2013.09.22 12:30
My husband has gone through several rounds of PT and ST. He is considered 4th stage probably (wheelchair bound). We've had good and bad PT and ST. I think the worst mistake we have made is to accept a bad PT and continue on. We have two good (yes, and young) ladies now, but they know their stuff and are familiar with working with PD patients.

I tried to do some stretching this morning - exercises that the PT gave us - and we couldn't do it however. I'll have to let the PT know this. Some of the exercises, even though they are passive, have to have some level of participation (like putting feet flat on the bed with knees bent), which my DH couldn't do this morning. The PT did ask me to call if I needed help with anything, so I'll bring this up to her. : /

By parkinit On 2013.09.22 12:31
How is speech therapy for dementia different? I'm curious. I'm not sure that is being applied in our situation.

By carman96 On 2013.09.23 09:17
Parkinit, not sure how the speech therapy for dementia works since the first appointment was an assessment and she canceled the second one. She is supposed to do some "brain games"
I'll let you know what happens!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you