For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic live in care giver Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By ysracer On 2013.09.19 17:03
My wife is to the point that she requires some help, 3 to 4 hours a day for the basics. I was looking to see if there would be a companion/caregiver that could be a live in that needed somewhere to live but not needed full time as a caregiver. They could have a place to live and eat but still have plenty of free time for a part time job or something. Does anyone have any idea where to look for someone like this?
In So California.

By carman96 On 2013.09.19 18:10
Sorry I can't help you find someone, but I just want to warn you to be careful. We had a bad experience with a live in caregiver for my mother-in-law. Make sure you get and check references!
Good luck

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.09.19 18:55
ys, Right off the top of my head about the only place that comes to mind is http://www.rewardingwork.org/ while they only have the states of Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Vermont listed, if you contact them they should be able to let you know if there are similar programs in your state and how to contact those programs. I hope this helps and good luck. Take care, best of luck and hang in there!

We're all in the same game; Just different levels.
Dealing with the same Hell; Just different devils

By Rempt2 On 2013.09.19 19:17
Definitely check references. I had one very bad experience with someone from rewarding work and two great experiences. I'm sure there are similar services where you are. Also recommend criminal background check and a nannycam if you can afford it. The background check is usually free or doesn't cost much. Good luck

By blue2 On 2013.09.19 19:30
You could try an agency such as Right At Home or Home Instead. We found someone, though not live-in, through a friend and through church. We are in Orange County.

By ysracer On 2013.09.20 17:05
Does she/he have a sister that needs a caregiver job? :)

Fortunately my wife is not to the point of needing a nanny cam due to not being able to tell me what's going on in my absence.

but thanks for the advice on being diligent on a background check.

By Mary556 On 2013.09.21 08:06
ys, years ago my Mom called local church offices to ask if they knew of anyone to stay with her father. We were put in touch with a wonderful person, a retired nurse, compassionate and funny. my grandfather loved her. the church people who knew and recommended her were instant references. Try asking at local churches. Or if you and your wife have any friends /neighbors who are nurses, maybe they would know of someone by word of mouth. My Mom found another person to assist my grandfather with bathing via an index card with his contact info on a bulletin board at our local senior center. If you have a Sr Ctr in your area, that might be another place to ask about finding a helper.
God bless you and your wife.

By parkinit On 2013.09.22 14:37
If the ADLs could be flexible - maybe a college student who needs a place to stay and extra cash? I would definitely do a background check and check Facebook. Facebook may tell you a lot about a person that you may not discover in an interview.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you