For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Any ideas for apathy? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2013.10.04 12:26
It is so heartbreaking to watch my husband meander from room to room, sit in this chair for five minutes, get up, go to another room and sit on the sofa, get up, go sit outside for a few minutes, come back in....go lie down, get up, repeat. I can hardly stand it when I think of how he used to be, not even that long ago. The loss is truly unspeakable. The pain and fatigue were one thing, but now I think we are dealing with apathy, he just doesn't seem to care because he doesn't think he can do much.

I tell him all the time he can do anything he wants, just in smaller pieces and at his body's pace, but it doesn't seem to help. I know he feels so lousy, and pain and nausea and dizziness are such distractions, but I can't help but think there is something I can do to help.

Has anyone been able to help their loved one with this issue? if I walk into a room one more time and see him sadly sitting there, slumped over, just staring outside waiting for time to pass so he can hopefully feel a bit betteri if/when the meds start to work, I am afraid I will not be able to hold back the flood of tears and I don't want him to see me like that.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.10.04 13:20
lurking, That sounds more like depression.

By umajane On 2013.10.04 19:13
My husband goes from chair to chair and from nap to nap. If I initiate an activity i.e. a walk or ride to the market etc he will come with me.
I am soooo tired of this whole journey at the moment. I have been extremely positive
And have had a good attitude. The last few days I have realized the whole impact on both of us. The only helpful thing is for me to change as he can not. He's a bit happier when I am.
Thanks for letting me vent....

By countingmom On 2013.10.04 21:28
I am new on here, but read this forum daily. My husband has parkinsons apathy. He is unable to do anything ,not because he doesn't want to, but because when he tries he tires out or trembles to much and really does not have to energy to do it. He is not on any PD meds yet, but he does take antidepressants and anxiety meds prescribed by his pyschiatrist. She has tried him on several different ones that do not help. He also has PTSD. I have asked on here about apathy and was told to research it. I did, there is not really any help for it, (meds or counseling) someone did say some Drs. have tried Ritalin with limited success. I know how you feel, we have been battling apathy for a couple of years, thats right years. He is retired from the army, and we farmed before all this set in, He loved it, sold at farmers market, Not affraid of work. Depressed yes, but not the same as apathy, I have seen both. Hope the helps, sorry to ramble.

T

By lurkingforacure On 2013.10.05 15:50
Thanks for the responses, I think we are also dealing with motivation issues, which I have read can be an issue as well. Ugh.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you