For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Anyone know of anti constipation recipe? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By oshroshr On 2013.10.19 09:30
We have been to you can mix up something to take but please let me know if there is a recipe for helping constipation. The high dose of Sinemet has made it worse

By Mary556 On 2013.10.19 16:23
oshroshr, I hope you will be able to find something to help. We are not familiar with a particular recipe or mixture, but our family PWP and non-PWPs have had good results with some or all of the following:
- stool softener such as Dulcolax
- a cup of hot water or hot broth, especially at bedtime (too much hot chocolate or tea might make it worse)
- oatmeal every morning (you could grind rolled oats in a coffee mill to make a smooth porridge if your PWP has difficulty to swallow)
- prunes or prune juice
- peas, beans
- canned pumpkin as a side vegetable, or pumpkin soup
- vitamin C powder mixed in a glass of water

Foods to avoid: the "BRAT" diet (used as a remedy for diarrhea)...
Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. (I would suspect apples, too.)
Hope you will find the answer you seek.
Peace be with you.

By VioletV On 2013.10.20 23:33
We've used the Rancho Recipe for maintenance with quite a lot of success: 1/4 cup prune juice and 1/4 cup applesauce (despite the BRAT warning above) 1/2 cup wheat bran. I mix this up weekly and keep in a glass jar in the fridge. My husband takes 2 rounded Tablespoons of this daily (best to work up to it to avoid gas), and has 2 more Tablespoons of wheat bran in the morning in his smoothie. This typically keeps him quite comfortable and regular.

Dulcolax didn't work for my husband. It made his stools too bulky, so that they were harder to pass.

When constipation flares up, a more immediate remedy (he just had a nasty bout of constipation, probably because of increased bread intake) which came both from his very helpful PD neurologist and from his internist:

double dose (2 capsful) of Miralax in 6-8 oz water followed half an hour later by a fleet enema (and if one didn't work, another fleet enema 30 minutes after that--he only needed one). this, plus some pushing led to ENORMOUS relief (in every sense, if you get my drift). Good luck

By parkinit On 2013.10.23 22:48
1. We mix Miralax with prune juice every morning.
2. Drink lots of water.
3. Add inulin or other fiber to breads, pancake batter, cake mixes, smoothies, cookies on a regular basis.
4. If all the above fails, try "The Bomb."
1 cup warm coffee, 1 cup warm prune juice, 2 ounces Milk of Magnesia mixed together.

My spouse used to have horrible issues with constipation, but by adding extra fiber to all baked goods, he goes daily and we've only had to use the bomb once.

By dkleinert On 2013.10.25 23:22
We buy SWISS KRIS - it is an herbal supplement. It works for my husband. He takes one every day.

By Trusting On 2013.10.27 01:02
Some things my PWP has used for constipation are: Cascara Segrada (in the vitamin aisle). He found that taking mineral oil really really helped. We also use high fiber diet, lots of water, and other softeners.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you