For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sig speech issues now Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By HKMP5N On 2013.10.21 10:11
Well, the inevitable happened nearly 2 weeks ago as I took my Dad perm move to assisted living. The falls were becoming more frequent and he lived alone.

My question is regarding his speech now. When I talk to him on the phone we can have a "conversation" of 4-5 minutes and I honestly can maybe understand 5 words of all he says. Every single thing he says now I have to have him repeat, it is really that jumbled/scrambled.

Anyone have experience with this? I mean, you would think you were talking with a drunk person if you didn't know better.

By carman96 On 2013.10.21 11:38
Sorry that he had to go to assisted living. Probably the safest place though.
Is there any way he can be evaluated by a speech therapist? Good ones know how to help PD problems and they can also work on swallowing if that also becomes a problem. Ask his primary care doctor for a reference.
Good luck

By HKMP5N On 2013.10.21 13:56
I forgot to add. He was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis a couple months ago. Could this be a factor here?

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.10.21 23:46
Hk, You'll probably have to listen very carefully from now on and concentrate on what He's saying, try to cut down on any background noise at your end that you can, tv, radio, not call from train or subway, diner or coffee shop or even a busy street. You Father is trying to talk as loud as he can and He won't be able to compete with background noise. Asking He to keep repeating himself is only going to tire him out quicker. When we are having trouble talking even those in the other rooms should come in to where both are together to be heard. It will at times require you put forth an effort to understand Him, you can do that and it is worth it for both of you. the Myasthenia Gravis can be looked up online to find out it's impact. I sorry Your Dad has gone downhill so very fast, it seems like you only just posted for the first time a couple of months ago, worried about being his sole caregiver and He had been diagnosed only 4 years prior.

By Grammy7 On 2013.10.21 23:58
I also have a hard time understanding my husband when he tries to talk. I find it easier to ask him questions where only one or two words are needed. He has seen a speech therapist for speech 2 yrs ago and just recently for swallowing issues. Nothing seems to help. I do say the alphabet, count to 20 and say the months of the year with him. His voice starts out loud then goes really faint. He is in asst. living too. He sleeps a lot more now. And I notice he is really talking a lot in his sleep. But I cannot make out what he is saying. Shutting out background noise or distractions does help. But I still have to guess at what he is trying to say.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.10.23 18:59
Grammy, have you ever tried to get Him to sing? As strange or odd as that sounds sometimes We Parkinson's Patients have an easier time singing than talking. Maybe try singing the ABC's? Who knows it might be worth a shot. I mentioned this to a friend of mine who's father was having a hard time speaking. She said she remembered when She was little her Dad sang to her........next time I saw her She said I tried getting my father to sing....he did! Now He won't stop He's singing all around the house it's wonderful! Who knows You might start a trend, hope this helps. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By Grammy7 On 2013.10.24 23:55
I will try that with him tomorrow. Anything is worth a shot.....Thanks for the suggestion.

By parkinit On 2013.10.25 19:20
I agree on the difficulty understanding. I don't have background noise and still find it very difficult to understand. It is worse in the evenings and during the night. I finally made up a sheet with pics of the more popular requests so if they can't understand, the caregivers (and I) can ask him to point to a pic.

By Grammy7 On 2013.11.05 23:50
Singing is not working. He doesn't understand that I want him to sing what he is trying to tell me. Today was extremely rough. Hospice now has a hoyer lift for him. He is at such a risk for falling. He weighs 127 lbs (5'10") but can't put weight on his feet. He lifts his feet when the caregivers try to transport him. It is difficult even with 3 people helping. He is sleeping a lot. I don't know if he even realizes I am there. It is so hard to see him like this; my heart is breaking....... I know he isn't aware of what is happening. Thank goodness....he would hate being in this situation......

By HKMP5N On 2013.11.06 08:26
Maybe someone can help understand this. For the last 5 days my Dad's speaking has been clear as can be. No slurring, completely clear. He also is now fully alert and even walking around the assisted living facility. Does anyone here have experiences where your patient can be so far down and out of nowhere complete recovery (by appearances obviously)?

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.11.06 08:30
Grammy7, I'm so sorry to hear that. Know the You and Yours are in my prayers!

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.11.06 08:31
HK, He might have had an infection, infections can and will knock us for a loop!
Also dehydration can effect up profoundly

By jcoff012 On 2013.11.06 09:29
Grammy, I am so sorry. You are very brave and kind and are an inspiration to everyone on this board. Your grace and love shine through your words. I hope for some respite for you and some peace for your PWP. You both deserve a good rest. Thinking of you, as I am sure everyone here. Hugs.

HK, my MIL had many very lucid times throughout her 22 years with PD. The family would be sitting around the family room, talking about something, not remembering a place or event or person, when, suddenly, she would speak up CLEARLY and remind us of that very thing. Clearly as if she were part of the entire conversation, she would clarify something for us! Then, just as quickly, she would be soooo hard to understand. Odd, but true.

One thing to consider. I believe Al brought this up last year...PD can often mimic the Robert DiNiro role in "Awakenings"...sudden clarity, then it's gone...but while there is clarity, it feels as if the PWP has "returned" to us.

Another thing, when our daughter was hit by the car and in the hospital those fatal three days, the doctor and her nurses said to us, "TALK to her, sing to her, read to her, tell her you love her over and over. Don't see her as she LOOKS, but as you remember her. Science tells us that the sense of hearing is the final one to leave our consciousness..so let her know you are here to ease her pain." Not that these are in any way your Dad's final moments, but don't assume that he cannot or does not hear what is going on around him, just because he doesn't respond. Jane

By carman96 On 2013.11.06 21:15
Grammy, so sorry you are going through that. I wish you strength and peace in the days to come.

By carman96 On 2013.11.06 21:20
HK, that is one of the weird things about this disease. There are good weeks and bad weeks sometimes and anything can cause a set back, like Al said an infection possibly. Wishing you and your dad the best

By Rempt2 On 2013.11.07 18:44
my husband also has difficulty being understood as he talks so softly. He looks like he is asleep but isn't. Conversations aren't very long. He is listening though even if he doesn't respond a lot so I would say keep talking even if you don't think he is understanding. He probably is. God bless.

By parkinit On 2013.11.10 01:25
Grammy,

You are at a point where it is probably harder on you than the PWP. MY PWP's neurologist stated there would come a time when it would be harder on me, the caregiver, than my husband. I'm so sorry for you during this time. I'm sorry that your spouse is having to go through this. Hugs to you.

By Grammy7 On 2013.11.11 00:39
I do think it is harder on me at this stage. I remember the wonderful man my husband was and I see daily what this disease has done to him. My husband's doctor tells me Ron is in a place were he is not aware of his problems or limitations. His doctor is always asking me how I am doing and telling me that I have to take care of myself. I know I go into a depression for a few weeks then I come out of it for a week or so. I occasionally go to dementia and Parkinson's disease support groups meetings. I used to scrapbook and quilt. I do my hobbies so infrequent now. I just don't have the energy. I try so hard to be upbeat when I am with my husband. Then I crash when I get home......

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you