For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Mirapex and like drugs Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.11.09 15:56
I remember when Mirapex and the like came out. My Neurologist asked if I'd like to try it, having read the "news" of these class of medicines I declined. Asking why I answered because you have to have testing done every six months for kidney damage, I don't want something like that which needs so close monitoring. Reading some recent and past threads it seems Doctors don't ask anymore just prescribe. Also from posts I get the idea they are prescribing differently than recommended?

This is from the FDA site;
"Initial Treatment
Doses should be increased gradually from a starting dose of 0.375 mg/day given in three divided doses and should not be increased more frequently than every 5 to 7 days. A suggested ascending dosage schedule that was used in clinical studies is shown in the following table:Table 1 Ascending Dosage Schedule of Mirapex tablets for Parkinson's Disease Week Dosage (mg) Total Daily Dose (mg)
1 0.125 TID 0.375
2 0.25 TID 0.75
3 0.5 TID 1.50
4 0.75 TID 2.25
5 1 TID 3.0
6 1.25 TID 3.75
7 1.5 TID 4.50"

Reading posts here I don't get the feeling that many gradually increase in steps? I may be wrong and mis-reading the posts. So I'm asking if Your Neurologists are instructing baby steps on and baby steps in withdrawing from these medicines? Just wondering and just giving a heads up incase one is needed,

We're all in the same game; Just different levels.
Dealing with the same Hell; Just different devils

By carman96 On 2013.11.09 21:57
Yes it was increased gradually

By parkinit On 2013.11.10 01:56
Al,
We are not on Mirapex, but my spouse was on Neupro patches, 1 mg per day. The doctor said we could just abruptly stop. Maybe he said we could abruptly stop because of the small dosage we were taking? Anyway, because spouse said he would feel better if he titrated off the patch, we began .5 mg for a week and now are doing .5 mg every other day. Everything I read said to titrate so I even asked the nurse I spoke with..."Are you sure we don't need to titrate off?" She said no a second time.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you