For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Advice please Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2013.11.15 08:31
My husband has suddenly turn for the worst. Bedtime has become a nightmare. He can't get in bed, he can't get comfortable, and last night he was afraid he might choke. He is too heavy for me to move and he can't move himself. I'm thinking of buying an adjustable bed. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

By parkinit On 2013.11.15 22:16
My husband has been going to bed around 8:30 most nights exhausted recently. He also panics about different things. It makes me sad for him. I believe last night he felt he was dying for some reason (he does this every so often). He told me he loved me and was very emotional as he was lying in bed. He also has difficulty getting to sleep. Sometimes before our nighttime caregivers arrive at 10:30, he may have a different request every 10-15 minutes (roll me over, I need a drink). Oh, and the night before last he was panicking because he said he hadn't drank anything all day. I reminded him he had a sip of water every time he takes his pills and this is 9x a day, so he was not without water. He was asking for water about every 5 minutes after he went to bed, though. SIGH!

The adjustable hospital bed that raises and lowers has been wonderful for the rolling over as he cannot help at all and I have to get my weight under me to roll him over onto his side.

By jcoff012 On 2013.11.15 22:49
Please let me interject something here...while I have not personally had PD, I have had to face cancer, which required three surgeries at two different hospitals, but three months apart, so lots of "worry time"...From the time I heard, "You have cancer" to the recovery from the last surgery, I, too, had panic attacks and was stressed over dying, never seeing our as yet born grandson, etc...Then, throughout the next five years, I still would have long nights of worry, feelings of dying, etc...

Why say this? Well, although PD is more longterm than a cancer journey, there are similarities of fear...fear of the unknown, fear of losing control, and, face it...fear of dying. I can relate to your husband and mine, I was scared, too.

The big difference is that I am now cancer free, PD never leaves you. But, the worry and for lack of a better description, panic, that surrounds my yearly oncology checkups is basically the same...fear is powerful. No one can convince you to not worry, to not be afraid. It is there. Those who have had to face their mortality know all too well that it has no rhyme or reason. All we can do is love each other and hold each other close...literally and in our hearts.

I hope this anxiety eases for you both. It helps to have someone nearby, even if all you can do is listen and reassure. Hugs, Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.11.16 01:31
One other thing to remember about panic attacks and anxiety, these are caused by a rush of chemicals in our brains that trigger the fight or flight response. We take medication all day long to try to balance our levels of naturally produced chemicals so we can move, some to repress unwanted movement a plethora of things. At times we may have a surplus built up at night or be lacking at night time and need our medication tweaked by the Doctor to get the right levels again. This might be causing the behavior and panic problems. Even reassuring while comforting won't make the problem go swiftly away. Think of anxiety or panic as the brains equal to a case of the hives when we get the hives the rash and welts spring up almost instantaneously it seems yet it can take days for them to vanish. Hives are caused by chemicals we produce, like panic attacks produce chemical in the brain so like hives it takes some time for our bodies to reabsorb them back so it takes time for the fear or panic to subside. Hope this helps some.

By jcoff012 On 2013.11.16 13:11
We can always count on you...I DO learn a lot from your/PWP perspective...thanks, Al...have a good weekend!

By carman96 On 2013.11.18 08:51
LC, my husband went to an occupational therapist who showed us the best way to get in and out of bed. It really helped.
Like Al said, sometimes the medication needs to be tweaked. With an increase of mirapex, physical therapy, a grab bar by the bed, and the bed at the correct height, he is able to get in and out of bed much better. The hospital bed didn't work for him but it might for your situation.
Seems like we are always experimenting to see what works best. It's good to get advice from the good people of this forum.

By LC On 2013.11.19 12:52
Thank you all. I love this discussion group.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you