For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic New to Forum Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By ResistanceFutil On 2013.11.20 09:26
I have known something was off with my husband for a couple of years. He became concerned with his memory issues and beg and getting assessments two years ago, about the time of his retirement as a physician. The tests showed minimal impairment in most areas. Around the ranch his impairment has seemed obvious. His tremor has worsened dramatically and is now bilateral. He first began with REM sleep behavior disorder about 10 years ago, shortly after a panic attack and diagnosis of depression.

He was diagnosed with IPD by an MDS last month, with results of a DATScan confirming. My husband was still hoping for Essential Tremor, thus the scan.

Just in the last month he seems to be worsening, both motor dysfunction and non-motor. The MDS, in agreement with my husbands wish, did not begin PD meds but only increased his SSRI & anti-anxiety meds. I believe my husband will request the MAO-B inhibitor in his visit in two weeks.

Meanwhile, my husband quit "seeing" stop signs & other traffic signals a couple of years ago. Now I do the driving, although he still drives when he is alone in the car. Yesterday I "forbade" him to use the tractor. Last week I "forbade" him to be in a cattle pen (he was tossed in the air by a cow last month) as his presence makes it dangerous for others.

Needless to say, he doesn't like this but has agreed to forego these activities until we talk to the doctor. He doesn't believe he is mentally impaired. When he use to miss stops signs, I made him turn around and go back and look until he finally would believe there really was a stop sign and I wasn't tricking him. Unfortunately, no concrete evidence of his mental impairment except some dead livestock under his watch, mishaps with the trailer and the cow accident.

I believe he is much farther along than the doctor is saying, and that my husband is willing to admit (hey, I was just diagnosed last month!)

I'm looking forward to feedback and support from you good folks. I've read many threads and know I'm in the right place.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.11.21 14:54
Hi and Welcome to the forum! (I love the screen name!) I think you're the first Borg here? You found a great place full of helpful people who will do their best to aid you any way they can (sometimes we're caught up in problems and may miss a post for a few days but generally some one is on the spot and others join in when they can. Sorry I didn't welcome you sooner. Just being diagnosed it will be hard for anyone to say just where he is and medication can change those effects of the disease. It's hard to be in limbo like you both are wondering but there are no easy answers right now plus this disease changes constantly so we have to wait it out as it presents itself. Wish I could give answers you want but I can't. However you're right you're in the right place to find help. Again welcome! Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By Mary556 On 2013.11.21 22:23
RF, it is good that you are here. Nobody wants to be an "enforcer" but when someone you love is acting in a dangerous way and cannot see that, one needs to intervene as you have. what other choice is there?

Receiving the Dx of PD is a lot to get one's head around. Perhaps denial is part of the grieving process for many PWPs early on. Whereas a non-medical person has the option of learning about their disease over time, digesting things bit by bit and going at their own pace towards understanding and acceptance, I imagine it must be so difficult for a physician to adjust to this Dx quickly. Though he will not experience every single symptom and complication of PD, he already knows all the possible upsets that might or might not be on the road ahead. He cannot put off thinking about it, all of the implications all at once. It must feel overwhelming for him right now. He is blessed to have you at his side. Best wishes and prayers for you and your husband.

By ResistanceFutil On 2013.11.22 08:06
Thank you both for your kind words and encouragement. As a physician, he is aware of the outcomes of this disease. Hopefully he will keep up his excercise and find some other activities to become involved in that don't involve large animals and large machinery.

He does want to stay active and involved. My worry & concern and lookout for all threats is ramped up well above normal now, too, which is understandable given the recent dx.

This forum is so helpful; I look forward to my husband & I adjusting to our new normal.

By LOHENGR1N On 2013.11.24 00:55
Mary there is a big difference being a patient and treating a patient. Really the only one who knows how it feels is the patient. A Doctor can tell one how they are told it feels, how the medicine is supposed to work, how they've been taught or observed progression occurs. But I'm sure there are going to be eye openers and questioning of the knowledge dispensed over the years.

Resistance, You said a mouthful, adjusting to your new normal. Adjusting sums it up We patients are in a constant state of adjustment just when you settle in it changes. Nothing is the same for everyone, each presents different symptoms and faces different challenges. Not trying to scare you or anyone just letting you know but along with that also letting you know you aren't alone and We are here to help ease your journey along the way. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you