For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic DINNER AND CARDS Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2013.11.26 17:04
My husband recently lost his license so I think he's a little depressed about it. I got the idea to get together with friends last weekend, so we went out for dinner with them and then played cards. We played Euchre which my husband knows how to play, but we hadn't played for a few years, so it took him and little while to remember. He was slower than before playing his cards but our friends were patient, so we had a good time.
It was good for him to get out with our friends and I think he talked a little more too. We'll get together again sometime and maybe I can invite other friends to do the same thing some evening. You kind of get in a rut, doing the same thing every night, like watching TV. Do you find that too?

By jcoff012 On 2013.11.26 17:59
Yes, but that isn't really relegated to PD! That is marriage! After 46 years, it is hard to think of and do different things. We all get in a comfortable "rut" I think. Not that ruts are always bad. The problem, to me, is that when we do the same routine daily, we become bored...and boring! The longer it continues, the worse it gets...So, I agree, shake it up sometimes...

When we have a bad spell of sameness, we do small things like take a ride, go visit someone, or work on a hobby of some sort. We also make plans in the evenings...we don't always DO them, but we plan things like trips, shopping excursions for the weekend, etc...sometimes, we simply go out for dinner...like today, we had a cheeseburger at McDonald's and then our grandson played on the jungle gym. After that, we walked around the local toy store and CVS pharmacy...this tired out both of them, so they are napping and I am cleaning out files to prep for taxes...not fun, but different!

So glad you had a good time with friends...I am 65, and learned to play euchre about five years ago and *I* would have a time remembering how to play...no cognitive issues for me, just slowing down in "old age"...lol...Hugs, Jane

By Lynnie2 On 2013.11.29 11:26
It might not have anything to do with PD but in a way it is.
He needed to get with friends and do something different and not sit around, so thought I would share it with you.

Thanks for your thoughts.
LYNNIE

By parkinit On 2013.11.30 22:32
Lonnie, good ideas. Sometimes we think because the can't do much, they want to be more isolated. This is so not true, I need to encourage more interaction with others.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you